Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWARE BACKUP NETBACKUP 7.5 SUPPORT FOR TAPE DATA DOMAIN VTL

Kinglsy
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello House,

I am implementing VMWARE backup on netbackup 7.5.0.5 solaris 10 matsre server and media servers,linux media server and windows media servers.

I have tape storage unit and data domain VTL storage unit in my environment ,no disks like basic,pure and advanced,no appliance like 5020 and 5200.

Learnt that tape storage unit is not supported on VMWARA backup except disk STU.

Is there anyway I can achieve this with my present infrastructure or must I purchase either disk STU or netbackup appliance.

Kindly help house and grateful

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I've never heard such limitation. VMware backup can work with Media Manager storage unit.

I guess what you heard is limitaion of STU for the media server running on VM.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I've never heard such limitation. VMware backup can work with Media Manager storage unit.

I guess what you heard is limitaion of STU for the media server running on VM.

teiva-boy
Level 6

DataDomain can act as a CIFS/NFS share or a VTL, or all three at the same time.  

That said, Vmware can backup to ANY target your backup software supports.  Meaning, it's not up to Vmware, it's up to in your case NetBackup to write to your DataDomain unit.

Since you are are required to license Enterprise Disk from Symantec to use a DataDomain or VTL.  I would strongly suggest purchasing the BOOST license from EMC.

This will reduce bandwidth on the ethernet links over CIFS/NFS by 50%, allowing you to run more concurrent jobs.  This also allows you to back to disk and not tape(VTL).  Which removes so much complexity in an environment.

Kinglsy
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks .

my questions is :Can I backup VMWARE to tape (LT0 tape drives).

A senior colleages in the forum says it is not supported among others colleagues.

I need to confirm this b4 enbarking ths project and the requirement

teiva-boy
Level 6

Yes you can backup to tape from a vmware backup.  I am not sure on the caveats for a restore, like you may lose GRT.  But you can find those in the admin guides and release notes.