cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWARE backup running slow compare to normal backups

tarladak
Level 4

Hi,

I have configured backup using VMWARE host but the backups are running very slow 100GB in one hour 10mins. I have tested using normal file level backups it is taking only 50mins for 100GB. But Vmware policy backups should be fast as we are taking backups through SAN.

Below are the environment details.

Netbackup 7.5

Master:Windows 2008 R2

Vcenter 5.5

I have selected the transport method as SAN: Use san to move virtual disk data.

Please help me out.

Regards,

Kiran Tarlada

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have you changed the RAW buffer size to the recommended value ? was 1024 (1MB) for vsphere 5.0/5.1, gave big boost in the setup I worked with earlier.

Also remember the vadp functions best with a few streams usually, start with 1 per datastore and increase until the performance starting dropping.

There has also been some limitations in the ESX kernel around 220MB/sec and 4 streams for vadp, not sure if this still applies in vsphere 5.5, so limiting number of backup per ESX host might also be an idea

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have you changed the RAW buffer size to the recommended value ? was 1024 (1MB) for vsphere 5.0/5.1, gave big boost in the setup I worked with earlier.

Also remember the vadp functions best with a few streams usually, start with 1 per datastore and increase until the performance starting dropping.

There has also been some limitations in the ESX kernel around 220MB/sec and 4 streams for vadp, not sure if this still applies in vsphere 5.5, so limiting number of backup per ESX host might also be an idea

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue