cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare Backup Indexing

philalbert
Level 4

Hi,

We are backing up a linux server using a VMware policy type. The option "Enable file recovery from VM backup" is enabled. But we are not able to recover files in the folder /exports.

If we restore the vmdk all the files are available, but we would like to restore the files indivudually without having to restore the whole vmdk.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

Phil

5 REPLIES 5

sclind
   VIP   

Do you mean just that file cannot be recovered individually - or no files?  Is /exports raw data perhaps?

Yes, the files cannot be recovered individually. (And I cannot see any files in the folder /exports)

But I think I found why, looks like my OS is not supported for that kind of restore.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000006177   I'm using Ubuntu Linux and it's not listed as compatible for individual file restore...

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

yes ubuntu is not listed. But not supportet may not meen not working.

I think it depends on your disklayout and the used filesystems. What are you using.

Single filerestore is limited to ext2/3/4 on LVM2 pure partitions?

ciao

tunix2k

X2
   VIP   

As @tunix2k said: Not supported, does not mean won't work.

As an example, I did some testing for Ubuntu Linux (VM) and everything worked fine except when I tried to restore a file from Ubuntu 14.04 backup image to a RHEL 7 VM. The restored file had no issues but the job did not exit with status 0. I opened a case with support and they said that kind of restore were not supported (read guaranteed to work).

So, provide more details about your VMs and storage and maybe some can help you out.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If your OS and filesystem is not listed in Table 12: VMware guest operating systems supported for file-level recovery, then file-level recovery won't work. 
No way around that except configuring the VM as a normal client.