Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare Backup from command line with Netbackup

Arturo_Lopez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,
I'm trying  to launch a VMWare backup from command line but the command bpbackup doesn't allow me launch the backup.

I put:

bpbackup -i -p <VMWare policy> -s <schedule> -h <Virtual machina hostname>

I believe that the problem is in the name of virtual machine because the name that we have appears with "%20" and ")","(", for example mssavlsfap1050%20(PREPO%20ZONA) and when I tried to launch appears the next error:

bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Is there any solution for this? I launch correctly the backup from comman line?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, the problem is with spaces and brackets in hostnames.

Get VM admins to adhere to naming standards where no spaces and/or brackets are used in hostnames.

I have recently seen the same at a customer where scheduled policies are running fine.

I have asked the customer to test restores of these machines as I am expecting difficulty...

You may want try the hostname with " " or \ before the special characters.

Best solution would be to rename VMs to standard naming convensions for physical machines.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, the problem is with spaces and brackets in hostnames.

Get VM admins to adhere to naming standards where no spaces and/or brackets are used in hostnames.

I have recently seen the same at a customer where scheduled policies are running fine.

I have asked the customer to test restores of these machines as I am expecting difficulty...

You may want try the hostname with " " or \ before the special characters.

Best solution would be to rename VMs to standard naming convensions for physical machines.

Arturo_Lopez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Ok, thank you.