cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare Backups & Pure Disk - How well do they play with each other?

George_Bowen
Level 3
As you can see in the title I am trying to get some input on how well VMWare Backups & Pure disk play with each other.  The company that I work for is starting to look at ways on shrinking the backup window as well as cutting cost.  We have been testing PureDisk on certain File Share servers that we have. 

I have read the TechNote on configuring NetBackup for VMWare.  All-in-all that seems cut & dry on how the backups are done. 
0-File
1-FullVM
2-Mapped FullVM

Here is how we have things setup at this time
1 - Master Server - Solaris10
2 - Media Server - Solaris 10
2 - Media Servers - Windows 2K3

Version - NetBackup - 6.5.3.1

So, is any one using the combination of Pure Disk & VM Backups?  

Thanks In Advance

GB
6 REPLIES 6

Brian_Smith1
Level 4
Employee
PureDisk 6.6.1 includes specific improvements for VMware. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137146 NetBackup 7 and Media Server Deduplication are tightly integrated. See this whitepaper: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/Symantec%20NetBackup_Cisco%20UCS_VMware%20vSphere%20Joint%20Performance%20Benchmark%20WP_Oct2010_final.pdf

teiva-boy
Level 6

NBU 6.5.4-6.5.6 and PureDisk works like a champ in my experience.  Each version of PureDisk as well has really improved a lot of features too.

Though, with NBU7 now having built-in deduplication, without having to deploy standalone PureDisk servers, I've found very little reason to deploy it anymore.  

There are still unique cases where PureDisk is needed though, that NBU7 hasn't quite caught up to though.

1.  PureDisk scales to 6 nodes and 192TB of capacity of deduplicated data.

2.  Remote office backups are better than NBU7 remote office backups.  Though, NBU7 is "certified," for remote office backups, but PureDisk just does it better by way of the cached fingerprint database in the client.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

For VMware I would really suggest upgrading to NetBackup 7.0.1. Just some feature highlights from the Symantec site.

NetBackup can provide both client and virtual machine (VM) level protection using the vStorage API. This integration enables a single backup of VMware images to deliver granular file-level or full image-level recovery, reducing both the time and cost of VMware data protection.
  • Improves speed by 50% and reduces storage by up to 40% versus previous versions' approaches with VMware Consolidate Backup
  • Only NetBackup offers instant recovery of files from block-level increment backups (BLIB)
  • Complete deduplication across all virtual and physical systems regardless of backup method
  • Automate and manage snapshots inside a virtual machine from host and array-based providers
  • No backup or recovery compromises for customers who back up directly to tape

As mentioded above, PureDisk and now NetBackup deduplication option has a stream handlers designed for VMware which means you get great duplication.

Even when you don't use dedupliction you can benefit from Optimized incrementals which combine the benefits of BLIB (Block level incremental backups) and Symantec intelligence to figure out which changed blocks on a file system actually contain information.

Also, you don't need VCB anymore, NetBackup 7 integrates directly with vStorage, so you dont need a temporary area to dump the vmdk images/snapshot before you can back them up. You can now send them staight to tape / disk.

Restore operations are also really nice, the GUI/Wizards connects to vCenter and gives you the option to restore to different server, data store, etc. You can also choose to have the restored vm powered on, connect, not-connected to the network etc. It will also analyze the datastores and ensure there is enough spave available.

These are just a few highlights that i recall. Not all related to deduplication, but worth checking out!

RiaanBadenhorst

Erm, why was this post not closed/locked, just saw its originally from FEB 2010....

Marianne
Level 6

I recently found out that post with NO response don't get locked after 6 months. There was a response on 12 Nov, which put it right at the top again...

I have seen posts dated 2007 getting answered today!

Seems unanswered posts are listed in the 'Overview' page.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

if they get a reply - no replies -> stay open indefinitely!

***EDIT***

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/connect-updates-21-may-2010