cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare Backups with File Level Restore on 7.5.0.1

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Having found out that we cannot exclude the data disks whilst using dynamic disks (see my previous post on the subject) I thought that I would backup the whole server and look at the file level restore for this particular server; however, I have stumbled across another issue.............

The server has two disks, C drive is 60Gb and D drive is 100Gb both are set as dynamic disks, on top of this we are using the built in windows disk management system to mirror the D drive, the backup is set as a VMWare backup in the policy and all the default options are set in the advanced section so all disks are covered, the backup completes and I can restore 3 vmdk files but cannot do any individual file restores, we have tried breaking the mirror and re-running the backup but we get the same results.

Having read the VMWare Admin Guide this does mention that using raid software on Linux will result in not being able to restore individual files, is this the same for Windows???

Have Symantec got any plans to change the VM backups to do what Veeam can do as at the moment it looks like our plan to remove Veeam from the estate will have to be put on hold until Netbackup can do the same as Veeam in relation to backup/restore.

Kev

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Update: I have just had our VMWare admin test a Veeam backup of the same server, they are using v4, and it looks like Veeam has the same issue where it backs up the whole server, including the mirror space, and cannot perform individual file level restores, they are looking to upgrade to v6 and see if this does the same, I will close this comment and await their testing, this may be of interest to any other Backup Admin looking to implement VMWare backups with NBU.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Update: I have just had our VMWare admin test a Veeam backup of the same server, they are using v4, and it looks like Veeam has the same issue where it backs up the whole server, including the mirror space, and cannot perform individual file level restores, they are looking to upgrade to v6 and see if this does the same, I will close this comment and await their testing, this may be of interest to any other Backup Admin looking to implement VMWare backups with NBU.