cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare VADP Backup - Single file restore

DPeaco
   VIP   

Greetings,

Doing some testing in our lab. Installed a new master server, version 8.1.1 of NetBackup. Linux server. Also setup a Linux VM as a media server with 100GB of disk to play with. I have a test VM in the lab that I setup a VADP backup on and I can see the VMDK's just fine, but when I got to try and restore a single file from the backup? No such luck. Yes, I have all the setting as required in the doc for VMWare Intelligent Policy. I have the correct check boxes checked. Under 7.7.3 I am able to restore a single file but if I do a clean install of NBU 8.1 and then patch to 8.1.1, I can not restore a single file from a VADP backup. What's up with that?

Also, one more question......how can I exclude a specific folder name from VCenter so that a VADP backup doesn't back the storage up that is inside that specific folder? Or maybe this needs to be a different thread topic?

Thanks,
Dennis
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@DPeaco wrote:

The Client VM is CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708 (Core), running NBU 8.1.1

I have gone through the NBU documentation several times and still coming up "empty" for file level recovery. 

@DPeaco

Seems you forgot to check Support/compatibility docs.
As per the 'Support for NetBackup 7.7.x and 8.x in virtual environments'  doc in @Systems_Team's post, CentOS is NOT supported for individual file restore.

See Table 13 VMware guest operating systems supported for file-level recovery on page 22 and 23.

It has never been supported.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi DPeaco,

You don't say what OS (and OS version) your test VM client is, so I'm guessing Linux?  Also does this statement - "Under 7.7.3 I am able to restore a single file but if I do a clean install of NBU 8.1 and then patch to 8.1.1" refer to the client, or your Master/Media Server?  As I'm not sure, I wanted to check - Do have a NetBackup client installed on your test VM client?  Without a client installed that functionality doesn't work.

There used to be a list which detailed what OS's are supported for single file recovery from a VM backup.  I'm trying to find that, so please pop back with the OS (and OS version) for your test VM client.

For your other query, no - it is not possible to exclude particular folders or files within a VM backup.  The only option you have for exclusion with VM backups is to exclude "boot disks" or exclude "data disks".  You'll find this setting on the VMware tab of your policy.  Click the Advanced button, and the option is called "Virtual disk selection".

Hope this helps,

Steve

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi DPeaco,

I've found some of the info related to single file recovery in the "Support for NetBackup 7.7.x and 8.x in virtual environments" document.  Have a look at pages 24 and 25 to see if any of the restrictions apply to your environment:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/NB_70_80_VE

Steve

Hi DPeaco,

regarding  your query for excluding a specific folder name from VCenter so that a VADP backup doesn't back the storage up that is inside that specific folder, if you mean excluding some vms inside a folder in Vcenter, my suggestion is to use VIP (VMware Intelligent Policy) rules. There are lots of fields and operators to work with.

Hope it helps,

Andrea

DPeaco
   VIP   

Master Server is RedHat 6.7 (Santiago), running NBU 8.1.1

Media Server is CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708 (Core), running NBU 8.1.1

I am running a VIP policy with specific rule set.

8.1.1 client s/w installed and configured on the client host.

All hosts are strictly located in our "lab".

I have gone through the NBU documentation several times and still coming up "empty" for file level recovery. Maybe I'll get more time to work on this today.

Thanks,
Dennis

Dpeaco, 

please check file system support for file level restore via Vmware backup.
XFS is still (!) not supported. 

Andrea

DPeaco
   VIP   

@AndreaBolongaro

Here's what I mean......

I have 6,500 VM's in a mix of Windows and Linux.

Majority of VM's are Linux (CentOS)

Storage assigned to each VM in the "Linux" world is composed of 2 storage types: NetApp SAN storage for File Systems/ O/S space and IBM V7K High Performance SAN storage for Oracle DB's.

I need to be able to run VIP policies (VADP) to backup / restore VM's but NOT including the Oracle storage (IBM V7K).

Each VM's storage is set inside specific "folders" in VCenter and the VM Team is wanting my to NOT backup the V7K storage folder while backing up the VM, it's O/S, and it's mounted disks.

Thanks,
Dennis

You may use rules for datastore name. They have named according to storage they belong to,  I suppose.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@DPeaco wrote:

I have gone through the NBU documentation several times and still coming up "empty" for file level recovery. 

@DPeaco

Seems you forgot to check Support/compatibility docs.
As per the 'Support for NetBackup 7.7.x and 8.x in virtual environments'  doc in @Systems_Team's post, CentOS is NOT supported for individual file restore.

See Table 13 VMware guest operating systems supported for file-level recovery on page 22 and 23.

It has never been supported.

Marianne is 100% right CenOS has never been supported for virtual file level recovery.
It works under same conditions as Redhat due to binary compatibility between CentOs and Redhat.

My two cents is that functionality is not working for Dpeaco because CentOs default installation uses XFS for filesystem and XFS is not still supported.