cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare file system backup

knbu
Level 4

Hello all, There was one request to take the backup of the VM's as those VM will goes for formatting. The backup completed for all_local_drive i mean all local files of the VM.Policy type was selected as "STD" My question is , the VM's are formatted & now ip etc get changed. We need to restore the data....is that file system restore help ?

My NBU is 7.6.0.1 & NBU operation system is Solaris 11. On the VM NBU installaed & VM is having Linux 6.2 OS.

Kindly guide me further.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As long as you can distinguish between OS and data, you can select data with overwrite option.

If original data was on separate mount points, ensure that the mount points exist, otherwise data will be restored into the root filesystem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne

Pity you did not do a Vmware type backup.
This would allow you to restore the entire server at vmdk level.

With Standard backup, you need to identify OS via data folders/filesystems.

Just restore data to original local.

As far as OS files/folders are concerned, restore to alternate location and let server owners find what they need in this folder and manually copy back.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Another option is to restore with the do not overwrite option

be aware restore into /dev and other system file systems can make the OS crash irrecoverible even with the not overwrite option

Being a vm you can of cause to a snapshot before attempting the restore

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

knbu
Level 4

Thank you guys, If the VM which is freshly/completely reinstalled after format(i mean no data is there) in that case is that possible to restore to the orignal location with overwritten option ?

Marianne

As long as you can distinguish between OS and data, you can select data with overwrite option.

If original data was on separate mount points, ensure that the mount points exist, otherwise data will be restored into the root filesystem.