cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare resource limit clarification

Ray_Esperanzate
Level 4

Hello all, I am currently looking deeper into the VM resource limit settings on NBU 7.5 and have a question on the following resource limit:

DataStoreType.  The documentation states that the value is "The maximum number of simultaneous backups per datastore type".

It looks like you can only put a number into the value field. 

Question is, how can you differentiate between the datastore types ?  Because the way it looks now, since you can only set one number, then the setting applies to all datastore types.  And if that is the case, why wouldn't one just use the "Datastore" resource limit.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

"datastore" limits only number of backups of each datastore. whereas, "datastore type" limits number of backups accross individual datastore. If you have multiple datastore of both SAN and NFS, and want to cap load of both SAN and NFS network, you may use it. 

View solution in original post

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Ray,

your understanding is correct... 

if you set "datastore type" limit to 1

only job run on SAN type DS (either on SAN-DS-1 or SAN-DS-2)

another job run on NFS DS (either on NFS-DS-1 or NFS-DS-2)

this is how it is..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

"datastore" limits only number of backups of each datastore. whereas, "datastore type" limits number of backups accross individual datastore. If you have multiple datastore of both SAN and NFS, and want to cap load of both SAN and NFS network, you may use it. 

Ray_Esperanzate
Level 4

Thanks for the response Yasuhisa, but i'm still unclear.  Perhaps an example will help.

Let's say i have the following datastores:

SAN-DS-1

SAN-DS-2

NFS-DS-1

NFS-DS-2

If i set the "datastore" limit to 1, then that means i can have no more than 1 backup running on each of those 4 datastores.

Let's say i have 4 policies, each setup to backup an individual datastore, if the schedules on the policies run at the same time, then i will have 1 backup running on each datastore.

Using the above example, 

if i set "datastore type" limit to 1, does that mean when i kick off all 4 policies, i will only have a backup of SAN-DS-1 and NFS-DS-1 going ? 

To me, it would make more sense that there is a separate limit for each datastore type, like DatastoreSAN, DatastoreNFS, DatastoreLocal, and then setting the limits based on that, because the way the datastoretype limit is being done, you have the same limit for all datastore types.  Which does not make sense to me.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Ray,

your understanding is correct... 

if you set "datastore type" limit to 1

only job run on SAN type DS (either on SAN-DS-1 or SAN-DS-2)

another job run on NFS DS (either on NFS-DS-1 or NFS-DS-2)

this is how it is..

Ray_Esperanzate
Level 4

Thanks !  I will put in a feature request to see if they can do the limits based on different types as i described.  In our environment, there are different IO profiles for the different datastore types and certain types can handle more concurrent backups.  I would like to have the ability to set different limits based on those types.