Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMhost For Vmware

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hello Experts,

We have environment as below.

Master server 2008 server with 7.6.0.2 and VMhost for vmware is Win2008 R2 server. Its not media server.

1:-Can we have 2 VMhost servers? One for load balancing on other Windows server with NBU client installation? Any configuration?

2:Can we have our Media server as backup host? Any configuration is required for that?

Thanks,

Hargyan Sharma

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot use Solaris media servers as backup hosts - only Windows and Linux (RHEL and SLES) servers are supported as VM backup hosts.
This document will help you understand supported configurations:
Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x in a Virtual Environment: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089  

About data transfer path, read through NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide

Chapter 1 contains excellent info:

NetBackup for VMware components

Table 1-1 describes the components that NetBackup for VMware uses.

Figure 1-1 shows a NetBackup for VMware environment on a local network. The backup host accesses the VMware datastore through the ESX servers.

Figure 1-2 shows a NetBackup for VMware environment on a SAN. The backup host accesses the VMware datastore directly over the SAN.

These diagrams will help you uderstand the backup path.

The next section is Media servers as backup or discovery hosts.

This section will explain the advantages of using one or more media servers as backup hosts.

Overview of the VMware backup process will further help you understand the backup process.

Chapter 2 lists configuration tasks.

Chapter 3 lists requirements and all sorts of important info.

So, if you understand the process flow, you will understand that there are no special space requirements on the backup server.

Certain limitations on the vmware side may cause issues. For example too many simultaneous backups on the same datastore.
Read up on Setting global limits on the use of VMware resources in chapter 4 of this manual.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne

What is 'VMhost for vmware'? 

Clearly not backup host as you mention that separately...

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

You can connect to muliple vmhosts (assume you mean machines that can query the vcenters)

You can use the media servers as backup hosts, actually think that it is best practice for both SAN and NBD transport

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Hello,

It seems to hard to understand.surprise

Could you please use general term of NetBackup for VMware when describing questions? e.g As Marianne commented.

Thanks

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hi Experts,

Sorry I could not make you understand :(

My query is about VM Backup Host. In My Environment Vm machines backups happen via VM Backup Host means no NBU client installation on VM machines.

Enviornment is

Master Server clustered:- Netbackup 7.6.0.1 Win 2008 R2

Clients:- 7.6.0.1 Mixed Solaris,  Linux and Windows

1 Nebackup Backup Host :- Windows 2008 R2 with 7.6.0.2

2 Media Servers:- Solaris 11

Vcenter: 5.5 U1

We had already  policies for VMs in which backup Host is Windows 2008 R2 server. Now this Backup host that is on windows taking backup of Linux, windows and solaris VMs.

1:- I would like to add more backup host. I beleive i can add these as load balancing. I want to add windows 2008 server r2. What is the procedure. I will take backup of windows VMs via this Backup Host. Pls also let me know the System requirement and Free space for this.

2:- I would like to add my media server i.e Solaris 11 as backup host for linux and Solaris VM Clients. What is the procedure to add this and how could i define the media server name in the policy as in Policy it says Media server not the Media server host name for backup host.

3:- What is the role of Backup Host. What is it system requirement and how much free space does it require? How does the data travel from Backup Host to media server.

I want to understand the procedure as our backups are failing with 11 and 13 error codes. These get failed and after some time these get successful without any changes. So My Backup environment is not stable  as of now due to VMs. Pls help me.

Marianne

You cannot use Solaris media servers as backup hosts - only Windows and Linux (RHEL and SLES) servers are supported as VM backup hosts.
This document will help you understand supported configurations:
Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x in a Virtual Environment: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089  

About data transfer path, read through NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide

Chapter 1 contains excellent info:

NetBackup for VMware components

Table 1-1 describes the components that NetBackup for VMware uses.

Figure 1-1 shows a NetBackup for VMware environment on a local network. The backup host accesses the VMware datastore through the ESX servers.

Figure 1-2 shows a NetBackup for VMware environment on a SAN. The backup host accesses the VMware datastore directly over the SAN.

These diagrams will help you uderstand the backup path.

The next section is Media servers as backup or discovery hosts.

This section will explain the advantages of using one or more media servers as backup hosts.

Overview of the VMware backup process will further help you understand the backup process.

Chapter 2 lists configuration tasks.

Chapter 3 lists requirements and all sorts of important info.

So, if you understand the process flow, you will understand that there are no special space requirements on the backup server.

Certain limitations on the vmware side may cause issues. For example too many simultaneous backups on the same datastore.
Read up on Setting global limits on the use of VMware resources in chapter 4 of this manual.