cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMs SAN transport with Virtual Media Server by Passthrough HBA

shox_lw4
Level 2

Hi

Is it possible do that by passthrough HBA card to Virtual Media Server and give access directly from storage to passthrough HBA in guest OS. Because I tried it and get error as below:

"err - Error openning the snapshot disks using given trasnport mode: san status 23"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Firstly, it's not a suported configuration. You may be able to get it to work, but why?

The whole purpose of SAN transport is to offload the workload from your VMware infrastructure, sop the bulk data transfer is performed outside any ESXi server (there will still be I/O load on the storage of course, but network and compute in VMware is not impacted). When you have a virtual media server your data mover is virtual, so will impact the VMware infrastructure - it makes no sense to try to use SAN transport to pull the data into VMware.

If your environment is sufficiently large, that making use of SAN transport is necessary, then provision a physical backup host/media server to support this.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Firstly, it's not a suported configuration. You may be able to get it to work, but why?

The whole purpose of SAN transport is to offload the workload from your VMware infrastructure, sop the bulk data transfer is performed outside any ESXi server (there will still be I/O load on the storage of course, but network and compute in VMware is not impacted). When you have a virtual media server your data mover is virtual, so will impact the VMware infrastructure - it makes no sense to try to use SAN transport to pull the data into VMware.

If your environment is sufficiently large, that making use of SAN transport is necessary, then provision a physical backup host/media server to support this.