cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware Backup Proxy host issue

mrtba
Level 4

Good afternoon everyone,

I currently have an open ticket with Symantec on this but I'm awaiting thier response, in the meantime I would like to see if anyone has experienced this issue.

Environment:

Master Server: 7.6.0.3 NBU

Client: 7.6.0.3 (Backup Proxy Host)

ESXi v 5.5 update 2

vCenter 5.5 Update 2

I currently recieve an 135 error "VMware credential validation failed." message while trying to validate the credentials to this particular backup proxy host.  I have 17 other backup proxy hosts backing up just fine.  My normal slew of tricks to get this to work isn't working...  DNS seems fine, I can resolve the FQDN and the host name itself from both the proxy server and the master.  I turned up logginng and and I see this in the bpvmutil log.

11:34:16.068 [2752.2112] <2> bprd_read_text_file: Received status 131
11:34:16.068 [2752.2112] <2> bpVMutil main: Unable to get server credentials
11:34:16.068 [2752.2112] <2> bpVMutil main: EXIT STATUS 135: client is not validated to perform the requested operation

I also see this in the bpcd log

11:34:16.068 [2680.1800] <2> run_VMutil_cmd: exit code for the process is h_errno = 135 - An attempt was made to use a JOIN or SUBST command on a drive that has already been substituted.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  If you want access to the case number please let me know. 

-Tim

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Tim,

Few things to verify

Ensure the Virtual Center Server and VM Backup/Access Host servers are added to the Additional Servers and Media Servers windows for the Master Server in the NetBackup Administration Console:

Host Properties > Master Servers > master server > Servers

Also check if your backup host is not multihomed.

Check out this note (allthough its from 7.5) http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH199788

mrtba
Level 4

Riaan,

Thank you for your prompt reply, yes the server is in both additonal servers and media servers from the master server host properties.  I saw that TechDoc already and I confirmed that I'm not affected by it.  I checked the variables and I'm also not multihomed. 

RiaanBadenhorst

Check your bprd log, that would usually tell you / log why a server isn't allowed to do something. Maybe there is a clue.

Marianne
Level 6
As a matter of interest - which OS on the backup host?

RiaanBadenhorst

Oh, one more thing you can try is. run nbemmcmd -listhosts and see if your backup host is listed (as a virtual_machine). If it is, remove is with -deletehost, then try and add it again via the GUI.