cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware Backups

Michael_Blizzar
Level 3

Hello all,  I setup a new master server running Netbackup 7.1.  Trying to setup VMware vmdk backups and getting the following error trying to add an esx host.  The error is as follows when we enter the correct credentails. Vmware credentail validation failed(MM Status- 999).  Anyone have any idea what this means?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

If the master server is being used as the VMware backup host, it must be running either Windows 2003, or Windows 2008.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

If the master server is being used as the VMware backup host, it must be running either Windows 2003, or Windows 2008.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please post all the steps you've completed before getting to this point. Just so we know you've not skipped anything.

Marianne

I fully agree with Riaan - please look at steps described in this guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3663  - in particular chapter 2 where VMWare as well as NetBackup tasks are listed.

Check and verify network connectivity as per p 24:
VMware requires that ESX server names resolve to an IP address. Symantec
highly recommends the use of DNS for the naming resolution among VMware
servers. For DNS configuration instructions for VMware servers, please refer
to the following VMware site:
VMware vSphere Online Library

Michael_Blizzar
Level 3

Thanks for the replies guys,  The master server is Linux,  I do have 2003 and 2008 media server in the environment.  I have a webex with symantec this morning and will post the results.

Thanks Again Guys.

Michael_Blizzar
Level 3

All,  You were correct.  The VMware backu[p host must be a windows master/media server.  Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!

Brian_Smith1
Level 4
Employee

Just to clarify, the minimal requirement for the backup host is that it be a NetBackup Windows client.  In that case, it works with any/all supported NetBackup media & master servers.

Yes, it is common to deploy the backup host as a Windows media server for optimal performance.  But a Windows media server is not required.

Regards,

Brian Smith

RiaanBadenhorst

Absolutely correct, but as you said, performance.......

Michael_Blizzar
Level 3

Performance is the key!!!!!!

Appreciate the help guys and gals......

Peter_E
Level 4
Employee

I believe the VMware backup host can be any windows machine that NetBackup can see, though it is often recommended to use a media server.