VMware ESXi backup with RHEL VM using NBU 7.x

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

Following were the infra details:-

1. VMware ESXi 5.0(2 no.)

2. VCenter 5.5.

3. VMotion is enabled.

4. four no. of VM for SAP and database is DB2 which is running on RHEL6.5 (details are -  SAP ERP ECC6 EhP 7 and  DB2 10.1)

5. one VM for Zimbra.

I am considering for NBU.

My queries:-

a. Will NBU work in this VMware infra. I mean to say will NBU can able to take backup of the RHEL VM.

b. Is GRT can be possible of the RHEL VM.

c. IF GRT is not possible..will I able to do file/folder restore using the standerd agent after taking a seperatate backup of RHEL server.

d. Will NBU works through vCenter as vmotion is enabled.

e. Is RHEL 6.5 is supported as the compatibility docs only says RHEL6 (no update is mentioned).

There is a small statement in the compatibility docs as below.

" NetBackup is supported on all editions (Advanced, Base, DC, etc.) and on all vendor GA updates (n.1, n.2, etc.) or service packs (SP1, SP2, etc.) unless stated otherwise in the tables below."

What does this statement mean?

f. There is DB2 database, is that supported. As we are using NBU 7.6 I guess there should not be any concern.

g. How will I take SAP backup and is that compatibility for the same. ( SAP ERP ECC6 EhP 7 and  DB2 10.1)

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Vcenter 5.5 is not yet supported.. may be in the next realease of the Netbackup

so all your questions needs to hold untill its get supportes..

but still in general

a. Will NBU work in this VMware infra. I mean to say will NBU can able to take backup of the RHEL VM.

yes it will work

it can make the GRT backups, where files and folders can be recovered.. (see the VMware admin guide for netbackup)

c. IF GRT is not possible..will I able to do file/folder restore using the standerd agent after taking a seperatate backup of RHEL server.

see the above answer

yes, you need to configured Vcenter to discover the VMs

e. Is RHEL 6.5 is supported as the compatibility docs only says RHEL6 (no update is mentioned).

" NetBackup is supported on all editions (Advanced, Base, DC, etc.) and on all vendor GA updates (n.1, n.2, etc.) or service packs (SP1, SP2, etc.) unless stated otherwise in the tables below."

f. There is DB2 database, is that supported. As we are using NBU 7.6 I guess there should not be any concern.

Vmware backup does not support the DB2 backup yet.. you need to use Database agent backup only.

g. How will I take SAP backup and is that compatibility for the same. ( SAP ERP ECC6 EhP 7 and  DB2 10.1)

even for SAP, you need to use the agent based backup only...(i may miss the update.. check the 7.6 vmware admin guide for netbackup)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Vcenter 5.5 is not yet supported.. may be in the next realease of the Netbackup

so all your questions needs to hold untill its get supportes..

but still in general

yes it will work

it can make the GRT backups, where files and folders can be recovered.. (see the VMware admin guide for netbackup)

see the above answer

yes, you need to configured Vcenter to discover the VMs

Vmware backup does not support the DB2 backup yet.. you need to use Database agent backup only.

even for SAP, you need to use the agent based backup only...(i may miss the update.. check the 7.6 vmware admin guide for netbackup)

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

Thanks a lots for answering my queries...

For the compatability queries

Is RHEL 6.5 is supported as the compatibility docs only says RHEL6 (no update is mentioned).

I have checked the docs but it only says the RHEL 6 , no update is mentioned...so Will I take and go ahead that NBU 7.6 will support all update of RHEL6...

Thanks.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU 7.6.0.2 was released on 8 May 2014 which supports vCenter 5.5.

See updated Compatibility Guides:

Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x in a Virtual Environment:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089 

NetBackup 7 Operating System (CL) for Client,Server,Dedupe,OpsCenter,BMR,SAN Client,MSEO:   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Master Compatibility List: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH59978