cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware Intelligent Policy filter to exclude VMs with PCI pass through

Thorsten_Jens
Level 4

Hi,

we are using VIP to backups hundreds of VMware VMs. Some have PCI pass through devices like GPUs, VMware can not snapshot those and the backups fail (status 156). Is there a way to automatically exclude these VMs?

6 REPLIES 6

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hi,

Yes you can exclude them by editing the query builder

@Hamza_H wrote:

Hi,

Yes you can exclude them by editing the query builder

Do you have an example for the query? I know I can exclude them by their DisplayName or similar, what I want is exclude them by the property of having a PCI pass through device, maybe that was not clear.

Hamza_H
   VIP   

I don't think you can do that..

you may want to add those specific VMs to a folder (Vmware) and then exclude the folder in the query..

X2
   VIP   

Here is another way of excluding VMs from backup (manual action required), if there is no builtin property that can be used.

A query like vmware:/?filter=NOT Annotation Contains "PCINOBACKUP" AND Cluster Equal "clusterLableHere" AND ....

So, add the annotation on the Notes field for the VM, i.e. PCINOBACKUP and those VMs will not be backed up via the VIP.

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

This is how I'd go about doing it.  There isn't a query field for pci devices.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Hi folks,

thank you for the suggestions. I guess an automatic solution is not possible, so I will revert to annotations or something similar.