cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware Machine with SQL backup failing

NAYAB
Level 4

Hi All, 

We have a VMware client with SQL and i see my filesystem backup is successful but when it comes to my SQL DB backup it fails with hostname resolution. May i know the reason why the filesystem backup of my SQL server is just fine but DB backup failing ?

NBU - Ver8 (NBU appliance 3)

ESX- 6.0

Note:- My ESX 

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

The reason why VMware filesystem backup will work and SQL Application State capture will fail is because.  Filesystem backup does not have to connect to the VM to back it up.

While the SQL Application State Capture tries to talk to the NetBackup Client inside the VM to perform SQL Application State Capture.

From the Backup Host, try to verify you can connect to the SQL client using bptestbpcd.

# bptestbpcd -client <client_name>

If that fails, that is why the Application State Capture is failing.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are you doing VMware backup with SQL option selected?

Or MS-Windows policy for filesystem and SQL policy for DBs?

If separate SQL policy, then confirm forward and reverse name lookup as well port connectivity between the master and SQL client.

Comms for DB backup is different - the client initiates backup request directly to bprd on the master.
The master then resolves client IP to hostname, checks for valid policy for client name, then hand down backup instruction to the media server.

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

The reason why VMware filesystem backup will work and SQL Application State capture will fail is because.  Filesystem backup does not have to connect to the VM to back it up.

While the SQL Application State Capture tries to talk to the NetBackup Client inside the VM to perform SQL Application State Capture.

From the Backup Host, try to verify you can connect to the SQL client using bptestbpcd.

# bptestbpcd -client <client_name>

If that fails, that is why the Application State Capture is failing.

Mean to say that i don't need master server in this scenario ? Only the Backup Host will do my Job, So instead if my Backup host is communicating the backup of SQL will be done ?

Note :- My SQL running on VMclient(VMware) with RDM type disks.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@NAYAB wrote:

Note :- My SQL running on VMclient(VMware) with RDM type disks.

If your SQL VM is using RDM disk, you cannot use VMware policy type (explained in NBU for VMware Guide). 
Also explained to you 3 weeks ago: 
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Backup-a-VM-with-disk-type-RDM/m-p/842398

You need to use normal SQL policy type. 

As I have explained above - the SQL client initiates backup request request to bprd on the master.

Your SQL client therefore needs connectivity through port 1556 to the master (bi-directional) as well as forward and reverse name lookup in both directions.