Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware - VCenter 5.5 Backup from NetBackup 7.6.0.2

punbs
Level 4
Certified

Hi Folks,

Can any one suggest me that how i can ensure the backup of VCenter 5.5 from netbackup.

Since VCenter 5.5 is a Linux virtual appliance. How and where to install the netbackup Client Agent.

or any other hot-add or seperate plugin is available for VMware 5.5 and NetBackup 7.6.0.2

Rgds,punbs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Nothing is installed on vCenter. Well no NBU client or server software.

NBU Client or Media server needs to be installed on the Linux or Windows Backup Host.
The Backup Host is the server that needs vCenter credentials to access and backup VMs on the ESX servers.

Supported Backup Hosts are listed in Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x in a Virtual Environment.     

Steps to configure VMware backups in NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide

vCenter plugin is explained here: 

NetBackup 7.6 Feature Briefing - NetBackup plug-in for vCenter

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH211115

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Nothing is installed on vCenter. Well no NBU client or server software.

NBU Client or Media server needs to be installed on the Linux or Windows Backup Host.
The Backup Host is the server that needs vCenter credentials to access and backup VMs on the ESX servers.

Supported Backup Hosts are listed in Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x in a Virtual Environment.     

Steps to configure VMware backups in NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide

vCenter plugin is explained here: 

NetBackup 7.6 Feature Briefing - NetBackup plug-in for vCenter

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH211115

Anonymous
Not applicable

@punbs I believe you are referring to protecting your VCSA VM by backing up using NetBackup for VMware.

The VCSA is a preconfigured appliance running SUSE LINUX Enterprise 11. This VM Guest OS is of course supported by VMware to be backed up via snapshot.

A VM Backup should be OK to perform.

The crucial part of the backup however is that this is running a vPOSTGRES SQL database (as opposed to commonly MS SQL on a Windows vcenter server) storing your vsphere environment metrics etc. You need to consider if doing VM backup the database is crash-consistent/recoverable. I think you could use Instant Recovery for VMware feature, to confirm the backup is good. 

NetBackup 7.6 feature Briefing - Instant recovery for VMware

Here are some alternate methods and scenarios to protect the database as well

How to Backup and Restore the VMware vCenter Server Appliance Database (VCSA)

vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA), vSphere Data Protection (VDP) Appliance or vSphere Management Assis...

Backing up and restoring the vCenter Server Appliance vPostgres database (2034505)

punbs
Level 4
Certified

Thanks a lot for Suggestion..   Stuart Green & Marianne smiley