cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware XFS support

Chris_W
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I just need to vent with how disappointed I am. 

The new VMware compatibility guide is out and there is STILL no ETA for File Recovery support on VMware backups with XFS.

http://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000006177

This has been an issue on the "Ideas" page for three years now. 

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/xfs-filesystem-in-vmware-virtual-machine/m-p/603460/highlight/t...

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Ideas/Add-Netbackup-VMWARE-support-for-RHEL7-XFS-file-level-backup-and/id...

Red Hat 7's default FS is XFS. This is a major problem for us. Having to run a VM in Standard policy and VMware policy is just plain messy. 

29 REPLIES 29

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We have been complaining for a couple of years now about the fact that Symantec/Veritas Product Managers have ignored IDEAS section in the old Symantec Connect forums.

Product Managers have different avenues where requests for enhancements must be submitted.

See this post by NetBackup EMEA PM:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Need-a-script-option-for-log-backups-to-skip-databases-using-th...

dave20
Level 0

Still no support for Linux xfs filesystems for Netbackup.  This is 'still' disappointing - the default rhel7 calls for xfs - which is also faster I/O than any extN filesystem.  When is xfs for Linux targeted for support from Netbackup?

Mouse

@AlainPelegrin any idea if it's planned to happen anytime soon?

Marianne

I have heard in an update session that XFS support is planned for a release first quarter of 2018.
Planned, not yet committed...
And all the usual disclaimers...

We know from experience that Veritas will not post roadmap info on a public forum.

Genericus
   VIP   
Any news on this?
NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Marianne

Still no sign in latest NetBackup 8.1.1 Beta3 Invitation.

Wow... I was really hopeing that 8.1.1 would add this missing component.  I guess back to complaining to our BCE/SE's.. Hopefully it won't take another 2-3 years before it is supported.

Chris_W
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Netbackup 8.1.1 has now been released and I don't see XFS anywhere. Our contact at Veritas says that it's in testing and should be released midyear 2018. Fingers crossed...

Hello,

Asked to the BCS today : "NetBackup 8.1.2, currently foreseen in July 2018 - subject to change"

DPeaco
   VIP   

Like you, we NEED XFS support for our VMWare backups. We are hopeful for this year..........we hope.

Thanks,
Dennis

Genericus
   VIP   
Any updates?

Marianne

@Genericus

Nothing was mentioned in the latest Beta invite.

Genericus
   VIP   

Anyone heard whether this will be in 8.1.2?

Marianne

Seems we will need to wait for 8.1.2 GA release to know for sure. 
There was no mention of this in any of the 8.1.2 Beta releases. 
The last one was 8.1.2 Beta3 in May 2018.

Genericus
   VIP   

I am going to bring this back to the front page every couple of weeks.

I have hundreds of Linux VM running RHEL 7, with XFS the default file systems.

Do I add a separate interface to all my VM hosts, so I can have a backup interface on these hosts, and load the client?

My veritas rep has been promising this "soon" for a while. Please provide this single file restore!

In the meantime I have a "special" process to restore to a temp VM and copy files over, got to love adding manual processes.

Genericus
   VIP   

Are we there yet? Any news?

Marianne
@Genericus

I feel your pain.
Unfortunately there are no Veritas product managers frequenting this forum.

Genericus
   VIP   

It seems like a "no brainer" that SOMEONE from Veritas should be reviewing this forum. 

sigh

thanks anyway, Marianne. I appreciate your response.

There is nothing new in 8.1.2 except more mess regarding certificates and whatever release will come after will contain a "new UI" because this is the biggest problem with NetBackup, the UI lol.

We had different visits from Veritas in our office and whenever I started to ask question about supporting different applications I always received the same answer "we don't know" or "not possible" and when it was possible they complicate things that bad that it's totally worthless to even bother with it (see mysql backups). 

API is still broken in 8.1.2, certificate management is a total mess so the chances to get XFS support in next release is close to zero.