cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware backup error 84 & 156

cyberninja
Level 6

Hello,

I have a lot of VMware bakups failing with error 84. I reran part of a failed job and got failure of 156 (snapshot). The VMs are SLES 11 SP3 servers.

My envirement.
Masterserver   --  Solaris 10 with Netbackup 7.5.07 installed
Mediaserver    --  Solaris 10 with Netbackup 7.5.07 installed (tape libarary controler)
Mediaserver00 -- Win 2008 R2 with Netbackup 7.5.07 installed (User for VM backups)
Mediaserver01 -- Win 2008 R2 with Netbackup 7.5.07 installed (User for VM backups)

Disk Pools
Dedupe_Mediaserver_DP          size: 9.23TB  56% full
Dedupe_Mediaserver00_DP       size: 7.68TB  23.74% full
Dedupe_Mediaserver01_DP       size: 9.59TB  23.96% full

The network that has this issue is not conected to the internet so I will have to hand type any logs you ask for. The only log I have looked at so far is /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpfis.

Any help would be great.

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

For the 156 error I would try to snapshot the VMs from vsphere with quiesce file system to make sure the snapshot of the VMs is not the problem

Other than that I would try to determine if the write error was caused by the snapshot error or if the snapshot error was caused by the write error

One thing I have seen on VMWARE backup against MSDP is that too many current IO streams can cause write error. In our case we had to limit the IO streams on the deduplication volume to 98 (default is unlimited in 7.5)

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check out the space at the datastore, 

Check your credentials, U should have access to VMs, log on at the vcenter w/ the same user used to connect netbackup and try to snapshot.

Best regards

cyberninja
Level 6

This issue is now fixed. The VMware admin made a on his end and the errors went away. Sorry about the late reply, other stuff came up.