cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware backup issue

john10
Level 6
Hi All, We have almost 170+ vmhosts under vcenter, here few servers having RDM Luns where backup is failing with 156 as you guys know snap shot creation won't happen, our client selection is set to automatic where all the hosts will be selected for back in the script, here is there any way to exclude these few servers from VMware backup? I cannot keep server in offline state as we are backing up servers with client installed on them. 2. If we select the client script manually I could able to exclude these problematic servers, but here when ever new hosts are added vm team won't confirm us where there is a chance to miss backups for those servers as per my knowledge, if I'm wrong please correct me where in manual script selection of new hosts are added those will automatically reflect with check box enabled.
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

John - no versions specified, so assuming v7.7.2.

See:

NetBackup 7.7.2 for VMware Administrator's Guide
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000100619

...see page 85, re:  Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy.

...see page 116. re:  VMHasRDM flag.

View solution in original post

sdo

Hi John - I can't know or comment in detail, as I can't see your environment.

Does your 7.5 version of NetBackup have a "Test Query" button/option in the admin GUI ?   This will list the VMs which "will be" selected when the VIP query runs when the scheduled run window triggers/fires/starts/opens.

ejporter
Level 4

The way we handle exclusions is to add: AND NOT Annotation Contains "NO BACKUP"  to the query.   Then in the VMWare console we add add an annotaion with the words NO BACKUP and the reason why.

It works well, and is easy to manage and self documenting.

5 REPLIES 5

sdo

John - no versions specified, so assuming v7.7.2.

See:

NetBackup 7.7.2 for VMware Administrator's Guide
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000100619

...see page 85, re:  Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy.

...see page 116. re:  VMHasRDM flag.

john10
Level 6
Hi Sdo, Thanks for the doc, and NBU Version is 7.5. in my policy In clients tab I added as below Today , I'm not sure that is correct way to exclude particular host from policy can see few options like "And" "Display Name" "not equal to" "host name" added servers like above which have RDM and same seems reflecting in backup selections tab hope so . Please let me know above parameters will exclude the backup"s ?

sdo

Hi John - I can't know or comment in detail, as I can't see your environment.

Does your 7.5 version of NetBackup have a "Test Query" button/option in the admin GUI ?   This will list the VMs which "will be" selected when the VIP query runs when the scheduled run window triggers/fires/starts/opens.

ejporter
Level 4

The way we handle exclusions is to add: AND NOT Annotation Contains "NO BACKUP"  to the query.   Then in the VMWare console we add add an annotaion with the words NO BACKUP and the reason why.

It works well, and is easy to manage and self documenting.

john10
Level 6
Hi Sdo/Ej, Thanks for the posts, give me some time once I'm in office I will post the screen and I will check whether last night backup skipped for those servers which I added yesterday .