Did you mean: 

VMware backups for SQL hosts and trans logs

asru1927
Level 3

Hi

Environment:

VCS Cluster Windows 2008R2 master server

NB5330 appliances being used for SAN VMware backups

I have just rolled out VMware backups accross our estate using our new 5330s and looking at a way to effectively incorporate SQL VMware backups.

I am interested if anyone is using the VMware backup method for SQL when taking a backup of the VM and then coupling that with the trans log backups via the agent  in order to allow for a shorter RPO in case of a DR scenario.  At the moment we backup the VMs in the evening and was looking at using the SQL module to carry on backing up the trans log during the day so in case of a DR scenario I can fully restore the VM and the SQL DBs from the previous night's backups and then roll the SQL logs forward to as close as I can to the disaster (currently we run trans logs backups every 2 hours).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Think that is what Application State Capture (ASC) can do for you.

A normally VM backup just gives a crash consistent backup of databases, which I don't think you can do roll forward on.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Think that is what Application State Capture (ASC) can do for you.

A normally VM backup just gives a crash consistent backup of databases, which I don't think you can do roll forward on.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I think I will need to adopt a range of solutions depending on the size\rate of change of the SQL server  data.  

I am in the process of testing these options and will post back some feedback on my experience  

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

you cannot combine full backups from VMware-based SQL backups with trx logs roll forward during recovery.

You must have "traditional" non-VMware SQL db backups performed by an agent when you need to have a baseline for trx log rolling forward.

The main purpose of VMware SQL backups is faster disaster recovery from VM including MS SQL, but not always a shorter RPO.

What I recommend to you is the following policy:

VMware including MS SQL backup - once a week

agent based full MS SQL backup - once a day

agent based trx log backup - every 2 hrs or so

Regards

Michal