cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware policy doesn't start

MatBams
Level 4

Hi everyone,

Since this morning, one of our vmware policy wont start. I can try to start all the schedule but nothing in the activity monitor. After research on the vox community, i found that the policy appears in the failure_history log and in the nbpem log. But i'm not able to decrypt these files correctly.

I've looked windows services and nbpem is disabled. Maybe it's normal or maybe not.

For your information, the platfrom work on netbackup 8.0 with a vm master and physical MSDP.

Thanks a lot for your future help.

Mathieu

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi @MatBams 

NBPEM is the policy execution manager. If that service is disabled on a master server, no backups will run. On a media server NBPEM is disabled.

How to verify the required NetBackup 7.x and 8.x daemons / services are up and running on a master server

Please see : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100002166

How to verify the required NetBackup 7.x and 8.x daemons / services are up and running on a media server

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100003415

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

check the All Log Entries report for the time of backup attempts, maybe it will say more. Especially if the problem is only with one policy, and not with others.

Regards

Michal

MatBams
Level 4

Thanks for your answers.

I've bad eyes because i didn't look the good server for the daemons. NBPEM is started on my master server.

I did a copy of the policy and the new policy starts well.

So i checked the All Log Entries and i found this : 

One error 200 which indicates that scheduler found no backups due to run. After that i received this error : Could not get last backup data for policy.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you get error 200 despite the policy is manually launched,  the basic reason is that policy query return no VMs. Was not something changed in VMware (for example, a VM Cluster name etc.) which could have led to this?

M.

X2
   VIP   

See: Status 200 details

Another way to check is to open the VMware Intelligent policy, and click on the "Clients" tab. On that tab, on the bottom right there is a button to "Test query". Click that and wait while NetBackup talks to the vCenter to get a list of VMs to backup. If the list says no VMs are included, you need to check your query. If there are VMs included, then you need to check your schedules for any overlap. And as the documentation above says, check the Activity monitor to verify when the policy last ran.

MatBams
Level 4

hi everybody

When i query the vcenter, all of my VM are included.

I will check my schedule for an overlap maybe.

I have also encountered this issue, once in a while, some policy stops executing and has to be copied over and under new name it works ok.

I guess its a bug.