cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware recovery hangs for long period of time

Brian_Coleman
Level 2

Experiencing a problem during our disaster recovery test.  While restoring VMware backups, I'm kicking of a restore from the media server using the GUI.  I select the VM to restore, point it to my vCenter server, then select "Alternate Location" since I don't have all my ESX servers at DR and also need to select a different data store.  After clicking "Next" after selecting the alternate location, I get an hour glass for about 30 minutes before moving to the next screen, where I then select the vCenter server to restore to, folder, datastore, etc.  The restore then runs to completion and everything is fine, just trying to figure out how to resolve that 30 minute delay.  I've taken all media servers not present out of the bp.conf on the master server (also the media server for this particular restore), verified DNS is fine between the vCenter server, consildated backup server, and master/media server, etc.  The master/media server is running 7.6.0.1 on Solaris 10, all clients are also running 7.6.0.1.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

That 30 min delay has to be NetBackup waiting for something. DNS, from what we see in support, is one of the top resolutions for delay issues. In a DR environment maybe even more so. 

One of ways to help mitigate is with the registy keys as talked about in TECH128037:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\BACKUP\disableIPResolution

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\BACKUP\disableFQDN

If the key BACKUP does not exist please create Key 'BACKUP' under 'Config'. Then create a New -> DWORD Value (32 bits) -> disableIPResolution

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

That 30 min delay has to be NetBackup waiting for something. DNS, from what we see in support, is one of the top resolutions for delay issues. In a DR environment maybe even more so. 

One of ways to help mitigate is with the registy keys as talked about in TECH128037:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\BACKUP\disableIPResolution

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\BACKUP\disableFQDN

If the key BACKUP does not exist please create Key 'BACKUP' under 'Config'. Then create a New -> DWORD Value (32 bits) -> disableIPResolution

Brian_Coleman
Level 2

Hi SymTerry, thanks for the reply.  Should these registry settings be changed on the consolidated backup server, the vCenter server, or both?  The master/media server is Solaris.

Thanks

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The Backup server. I assume thats your Master/media server.

Brian_Coleman
Level 2

OK, it's Solaris, so I assume there is a corresponding bp.conf entry for it

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The Backup Server will be Windows or Linux. 
The entry will be added to registry on Windows backup server.
On Linux backup host, the entry is added to /usr/openv/netbackup/virtualization.conf.
See 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176196