Did you mean: 

VMware restore using NBD transport method

Adie84
Level 3

Hi All,

My environment is as follows:

Netbackup 7.7.2
1x Windows 2008 R2 master server
2x netbackup 5220 appliances (media servers, 2x 10GbE NICs)
1x Windows 2012 media server (virtual machine only used for VMware hotadd backups)

VMware 5.5u3
9x ESXi hosts with the following (9x HP blades in a c7000 chassis using HP Virtual Connect for networking):
-2x 1Gb management NICs
-a number of production network NICs with varying speeds
-2x 3Gb connections to iSCSI storage arrays

My question is this: is there a way to restore virtual machines using NBD via a different NIC to the management ones? I have seen reference to putting entries in the host file on my netbackup hotadd vm which point to the ESXi hosts' faster NICs' IP addresses and enable those NICs for management traffic but am unsure on the details of this or if it would even be allowed in our case (management traffic has to be seperated from production traffic).

Our VMware administrator is concerned that if I restore machines via NBD (which I have been told will use the management NICs) that it could saturate the links, the hosts may lose connection to Vcentre and "cause a disaster".

I cannot use SAN transport method for various reasons.
I cannot use hotadd due to a known issue with the VDDK 5.5/6.0 where metadata won't be restored with a machine and the restore will fail (referenced on page 41 in the Netbackup for vmware admin guide) - the workaround is to use the NBD transport method.

My apologies if I have forgotten to include anything relevant.

Thanks,

Ade

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adie84
Level 3

There is now ay around this, the management NIC's must be used.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Adie84
Level 3

There is now ay around this, the management NIC's must be used.