cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VNETD issue

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5
hi all,

i have Netbackup installed on /usr/openv mount point on one machine.

now a requirement is that i have to move Netbackup from one machine to another.

i did a ufsdump on a Solaris machine and then did a ufsrestore ... althought the restore was sucessfull.  then i started the Netbackup services, but i am encountering this error " Error "Unable to login, status 525, Can not connect to the NB-Java authentication service via VNETD on <hostname> on port 13724"

kindly suggest, also i have started the Netbackup services... but still have this issue.
14 REPLIES 14

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup installation does more than what you see in /usr/openv...
It does a proper package install of a number of packages (which updates /var/sadm/install/contents, /var/sadm/pkgs, etc), updates /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/services, install sg drivers, etc.. etc...

Rather follow the process in the NBU Troubleshooting Guide on how to recover a failed master server.

IT might work if you first perform the NBU install, shut down all NBU daemons, then do ufsrestore.

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

but i did it like this....
-->init 0
-->boot -s
--> ufsdump on network machine

on Solaris machine, performed a sys-unconfig and provided the same Hostname and IP address like the previous NBU Master machine.
-->ufsrestore on the machine.

after it has ufsrestored, then i started netbackup processes... but when i checked
-->netstat -a | grep bpcd
-->more /etc/services | grep vnetd

it never showed me any services running.  is there any thing i have to install ?

kindly suggest ?

David_McMullin
Level 6

Marianne has teh correct answer - teh simplest solution is to run the install program to set your startup and underlying processes.

Otherwise you need to install pbx, and your /etc/services updates.

Just run the install.

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

okay.. i will try this... but plz keep me posted on this.
should i run the NBU install. ? which install r u talking about.? and to to update /etc/services ?

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

do i need to run ./install for /usr/openv  via NBU setup in order to set startup and underlying services ?

and how to update /etc/services ?

your prompt response will be appreciated ?

Marianne

YES, you need to run <install_folder>/install. This will install NBU as well as infrastructure packages.

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

okay... i will do this tomorrow.. and will update you...

thnks for being supportive :)

Pablo_B
Level 3
I disagree with the direction the previous replies are pointing you.
  The error you received can be caused by several things not yet answered here. If your DNS is not set up properly, you may get this error when attempting to connect from a Netbackup Admin Console into the new server. I have this situation right now on one laptop and have not resolved it. I suspect that the new firewall/IDS system recently installed on the laptop is what is causing the inability to connect. A thorough search of KB and this website reveals that this error is most commonly caused by DNS, firewall or other network issue with a few other minor configuration possibilities. A UFS restore on a Solaris machine should not have to have the install ran again, its not like a Windows machine where the registry entries need to be made. All of your files shouls be where they need to be. Check your bp.conf file, host file and DNS entries first.

Pablo_B
Level 3
Okay, after taking another look at your initial email, you did say that you only restored /usr/openv and now I agree with the previous repies about re-running the install. I still, however, believe that the error you received is related to the configuration of the new server and may not get resolved until you fix connectivity. In my case, I can ssh from the laptop into the server, yet still get the (paraphrased) "Cannot connect on port 13724" error.  I am wondering about transferring the info related to your catalog... etc.  Good luck with your situation.

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

okay... in sometime.. i will do 1st do ufsdump on the same machine.
then will perform a install of  NBU setup. (Master/Media/Emm) 6.5
then overwrite with ufsrestore.(NBU Master/Media/Emm 6.5.4)

Does it sounds good ?

Marianne
Sounds good to me.
Ensure NBU starts up at the end of installation. Stop NBU (including pbx) before doing ufsrestore.

****EDIT****

One more thing: 6.5.4 upgrades PBX as well. Even if you backup & restore /opt/VRTSpbx, the package info will not be updated. This might cause problems with future upgrades.
Maybe best if you actually patch NBU before doing the ufsrestore. This will ensure that pbx, icsco as well as the sg driver (that lives in /kernel/drv) gets updated correctly.

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

Dear,
 i have performed the following steps.
--->Stop all NBU Services
--->init 0
---> boot -s
---> took ufsdump on remote machine
---> and put this mahcine down.

---> sys-unconfig on remote machine, and provided the same host name and ip address(as of previous machine running NBU 6.5.4)
-->installed NBU and patched it to 6.5.4 and its working now perfectly.

now for ufsrestore of (/usr/openv  and  /opt/VRTSpbx), should i stop NBU services first  or just overwrite them ?

Marianne

Please stop ALL NBU daemons before doing ufsrestore.
Confirm with bpps -x

If you have installed 6.5.4, no need to restore /opt/VRTSpbx - it's already at the correct level and contains no configuration info.

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

Yup , it has worked.
i stopped all NBU services, and performed a ufsrestore.

now, it is running.. and loaded all its previous configurations...

let me do a Filesystem restore and a BMR with it (with previously taken backups). and i will update you whether its functioning perfectly or not.