cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

/VRTS_IMAGE_SIZE_RECORD Backups Hang

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Hi,

I am running a RHEL v6.3 Master server using NBU7.6.0.4 and am having issues with some Windows backups that get stuck at the  /VRTS_IMAGE_SIZE_RECORD 

The policy is a standard Windows policy without checkpoints etc, the backup activity monitor shows 0% completion on a running job, the clients are a mix of Win2008 running v7.0 & 7.6.0.2

It is only affecting 15 out of 57 clients in the policy

Anyone seen this behaviour before?

Many thanks

Kev

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just an update on this old ticket, we had Veritas take a look and they were as confused as we were, having pulled all the logs etc we were still no further forward, they stated that all the old 7.0 clients would need to be upgraded just as a standard response.

During the data collection using the bpgetconfig of the servers to ascertain the NBU levels I came across one client that hung during this process, the client could be seen using ping, bptestbpcd but not bpgetconfig, I asked the team to take a look and this client was in a semi hung state and low on resources, once the server was corrected all our failing jobs suddenly worked again.

It looks like the server was failing with the old vnetd connection and could not connect using pbx as it was 7.0 so this caused the bpbrm process to die on the Master which failed any running jobs after the failed connection to the client.

Will now be pushing for an upgrade of all our clients to above 7.0 ........

Hope this info is helpful to anyone else that has a similar issue

Kev

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, I have.
You may have noticed similar forum posts under 'Related Discussions' such as this one: 
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Windows-client-backups-hanging-up-on-vrts-image-size-record/m-p...

Check memory usage on the master when this is happening and if TIR is enabled in the policy.

Hi Marianne,

CPU on the master is running at 94% idle, none of the BP daemons are running out of bounds.

TIR is not used in the policy at all, we did have checkpoint enabled but turned this off to see if this was causing the issue but no change.

Kev

Just an update on this old ticket, we had Veritas take a look and they were as confused as we were, having pulled all the logs etc we were still no further forward, they stated that all the old 7.0 clients would need to be upgraded just as a standard response.

During the data collection using the bpgetconfig of the servers to ascertain the NBU levels I came across one client that hung during this process, the client could be seen using ping, bptestbpcd but not bpgetconfig, I asked the team to take a look and this client was in a semi hung state and low on resources, once the server was corrected all our failing jobs suddenly worked again.

It looks like the server was failing with the old vnetd connection and could not connect using pbx as it was 7.0 so this caused the bpbrm process to die on the Master which failed any running jobs after the failed connection to the client.

Will now be pushing for an upgrade of all our clients to above 7.0 ........

Hope this info is helpful to anyone else that has a similar issue

Kev