cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSP cache file-Any logs to show?

W_M_Wong
Level 4
Dear all,

My Windows Clients are making use of VSP during backup. VSP cache files are created during backup to cache the open/active files.

There are a few cases whereby the back up failed with error 156. Likely suspect is the VSP cache file was full. Therefore, I am thinking of setting a size for the VSP cache file.

Would like to check if there are any logs to show where the files are backing up from? from the original path or from the VSP cache file?

Thanks a lot.
6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
With VSP, files to backup are read from logical volume that VSP generated.
When reading data from logical volumes, data not changed came from original location, and data changed during backup came from VSP cache file. Data before change is stored in cache file, with Copy On Write technology.

Logs related with VSP are as follows, but these are not useful in most case.
NetBackup\logs\bpbkar
NetBackup\logs\online_util
NetBackup\logs\bpfis

Try to change cache parameter to resolve error, set Max cache size to unlmited or 95% of volume space, and set initial cache size as high as possible to allocate as dedicated space.

Stumpr2
Level 6
one more thing:

Large temp files called _vxfivspcachefile_x.tmp reside on the hard disk and cannot be deleted.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269558.htm

Details:
These files are created by VERITAS Snapshot Provider (VSP) but are often locked by the AntiVirus software on the client with the problem. As AntiVirus is scanning these files, VSP is unable to delete them and they remain on the server.

The recommended procedure is to:

Reboot the server. This is the only way to delete the file(s).
Add the _vxfivspcache*.tmp string to the AntiVirus exclude list and reboot the server. This will prevent the antivirus from scanning the cache file and will allow VSP to automatically delete it.

Please consult the AntiVirus vendor's Web site / Technical Support for information on how to add files to the exclude list.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

IP_Freely
Level 4
Bobs above statement is not based in fact. Use process explorer from sys internals http://www.sysinternals.com/ to kill the handle to the cache file, then delete it. We Windows folks already get a lot of (in some cases well deserved) criticism for using the theraputic reboot as a panacea.

A little more detailed example can be found here...
http://bobchristian.blogspot.com/2005/02/problems-with-vxfivspcachefile-files.html

IP_Freely
Level 4
Douple tapMessage was edited by:
IP Freely

Stumpr2
Level 6
LOL, I stand corrected!

Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

I forgot to mention that VERITAS is a Latin word.
VERITAS = truth
....and that's funny. I don't care who you are! You gotta laugh at that one.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

W_M_Wong
Level 4
Dear all,

thanks for the replies and information.

my VSP cache file is set to be created as the same volume that is being backup. and i did not customize the cache file settings. therefore, veritas will automatically size up the VSP cache file. from the online_util log files, normally it will create up to 95% of the free disk space. but sometimes, it still failed with error 156.

therefore, i wish to know where can i find information on where every individual files is backing from (VSP cache file or original pathname).

or rather how can i find out how many open/active files are there during a backup? so that I can know how much free space to cater for the VSP cache file.

thank you.