cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSP cache files not deleted

Mike34_2
Level 2
Hello everyone, we are running Netbackup version 6.0 MP4 and we are running into the problem where the vsp files are not getting cleaned up.  So far we've noticed the problem on two servers, both windows 2003 sp1.  A reboot of the server clears these files out but they come back in a few days.

Regarding info found on this, we've come across the following:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/270127.htm
this workaround allows us to clear out the files without having to reboot and

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/269558.htm
tells us that most likely the files are being kept open, possibly by the antivirus.

However, we have removed the antivirus off both of these machines to test and within a few days, the vsp files are on the machine and all the space is gone again.

Thanks in advance for any help on fixing this permanently.
Mike
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
I posted my take on VSP, a few weeks ago, here:

I'd follow Phillips advice and try using VSS instead for Win2003.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Philip_Drew
Level 4
I had this issue on my Notes mail servers which were also SAN media servers.  Anti-virus software was locking the files.  The best solution I found was to use the following:
1) Removed the file extension from the anti-virus scanning.
2) Changed from VSP to VSS (Windows 2003 shadow copying) .  This is set on the master server - ensure that when you add in the server name to the client attributes section under  host properties - master server that you use the same case (ie upper or lower case) as the server name as in the list of clients or it won't work.
3) Set a disk limit of 1GB in Windows for the maximum shadow copy file size - system properties - advanced I think.

Not in work now so can't give exact instructions.  If you need more clarification let me know and I can go through it step by step tomorrow.

The rationale behind this action was that generally VSS provides quicker and more reliable shadow copying with the added benefit that you can limit the amount of space used so the server shouldn't be negatively impacted on the disk space or performance side.

sdo
I posted my take on VSP, a few weeks ago, here:

I'd follow Phillips advice and try using VSS instead for Win2003.

Mike34_2
Level 2
Thanks to both of you for the recommendations.  I will have to give VSS a go.

Thanks much
Mike

sdo
Good luck Mike.  Please post back with results/solution/comments, thanks.