cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VTL licensing for openStorage EMC appliance

Sammy1233
Level 4

Hi all,

I would like to know what licensing that required enabling netbackup open storage feature for EMC VTL?

The configure disk storage wizard is grayed out.

Netbackup enterprise 7.1.0.1

Base on what I understand that the enterprise disk option is required (front-end terabytes). Is the virtual tape option included as a part of enterprise disk option licensing? Is netbackup deduplication option required as well for disk storage to be configured? Please advise. Thanks

Sammy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

As mentioned, Enterprise DIsk will give you access to write to a VTL device, a dedupe appliance, or device that performs replication.  Bascially anything more advanced than a JBOD needs Enterprise disk licensed.

Backing up to an internal disk or JBOD is included in the default NBU licensing.  

If your VTL does dedupe, you still only need the Enterprise disk license.  You wouldn't have to buy any "dedupe licenses."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

To use VTL or OpenStorage Applicance, you have to purchase Enterprise Disk Option license.
Deduplication Option is license for Media Server Deduplication Pool and PureDisk. It is not needed in this case.

teiva-boy
Level 6

As mentioned, Enterprise DIsk will give you access to write to a VTL device, a dedupe appliance, or device that performs replication.  Bascially anything more advanced than a JBOD needs Enterprise disk licensed.

Backing up to an internal disk or JBOD is included in the default NBU licensing.  

If your VTL does dedupe, you still only need the Enterprise disk license.  You wouldn't have to buy any "dedupe licenses."

Sammy1233
Level 4

Thanks both for your clarification!

That actually clarified my inqueries of license in using third party storage appliances. Thanks again!

Best Regards

Sammy