cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VTL tapes creation

Arun_K
Level 6

Hi,

in VTL , I have a disk appliance of 10 TB.

So for VTL,what s beneficial?  one tape with 10 tb or 10 tapes with 1 TB each.and the reason for it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Think of it like this. If you have 1 tape with 10Tb but need to run 20 different backups, then your 1 tape will be in-use and jobs will queue. Same goes if you are using the tape for writing and need to do a restore

However, if you have more tapes, there are more resources for backups and restores and also less chance to 'corrupt' all your data on that 1 tape too.

More tapes with lower storage capacity is better!!!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please take sometime and write your question again. If you want us to give you advice, put some effort into formulating your question properly. This is not a text message or whatsapp.

In VTL?

So for VTL,what s beneficial?

You said you had a disk appliance, so what is in your environment?

Arun_K
Level 6

I mean i am configuring my disk storage as VTL..now i have 10 tb space.  So for VTL i should create   one tape with 10 tb or 10 tapes with 1 TB each.and the reason for it?  which is good and the reason for it?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Think of it like this. If you have 1 tape with 10Tb but need to run 20 different backups, then your 1 tape will be in-use and jobs will queue. Same goes if you are using the tape for writing and need to do a restore

However, if you have more tapes, there are more resources for backups and restores and also less chance to 'corrupt' all your data on that 1 tape too.

More tapes with lower storage capacity is better!!!!

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

My question to you:

Why are you still using VTL when NBU can use disk effectively and supports all the advanced OST features of your Data Domain???

VTL was good 10 years ago when NBU only understood tape and could not use disk effectively.