cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Various issues using VM Query....

Toddman214
Level 6

Netbackup 7.5.0.4

Windows 2008r2 Master and Media servers

 

Hello,

 

I have been for some time having performance issues using VM query. But lately, it has reached the point where I avoid clicking on the "client" tab in a vm policy like the plague, becuase it will lterally take 30 minutes to an hour to actually show me the settings. Then, if I change a search parameter, its another half hour, then when I save the changes, yet another half hour. Sometimes it will give a message that the "operation has timed out', and other times it will finally open. I can forget running a 'test query' anymore, which I'd really like to be able to do again!

Ive already added in the 'disableIPResolution" value on the VM backup host media server's registry, but it had no effect.

Also, when looking in the job details of completed VM backup jobs, I see the following.......(these are examples from a couple different jobs, but this is about average). Take a look at the "resolver discovery" elapsed time. Does that seem excessive?

7/23/2014 8:41:05 PM - end Application Resolver, Resolver Discovery; elapsed time: 04:11:03

7/23/2014 8:46:06 PM - end Application Resolver, Resolver Discovery; elapsed time: 04:16:01

I dont know if the "resolver discovery" and the very slow VM query responsiveness are related issues, but I'm hoping someone will recognize these characteristics as something they may have seen before.

What has me looking at all of this, is that Ive created a couple new VM backup policies, and no matter what Ive tried so far, they fail out with that status 200, about the scheduler not finding anything due to run. I'm even using a very simple query with only the vcenter and displayname.  The schedules are unique, and I see no overlap in these calandar-based schedules. Changing the policy to a manual selection will allow the job to complete with no issues, and in good time, but we have 1100 VM's in our environment, so I really need to run query. Each time a make a change and test it, its taking 1+ hours to make the adjustment to the query builder, and then another 4+ hours for the job to fail. Very frustrating, as you can imagine.

Thank you!

 

Todd

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

 

Have you tried using VMDisplay Name as the Primary VM identifier in Backup options on the VMware tab.

 

The default is VMHostname, which requires a lookup.

Toddman214
Level 6

Riaan, I found the issue. Im using VMDisplayname. I was trying to manually kick off the job outside of it's start window. I tried moving the start window and then kicked off a manual job within it, and it worked. OMG....still making rookie mistakes after running backups for 2 years! :(

Toddman214
Level 6

Well, part of the problem is cleared. I can get the policies to run now, and complete successfully. Still having this issue of any changes or setup done to a vm query polcy taking hours to test. I'll close this posting out and open another one if needed.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Great, please mark the solution and we'll look at the next issue.

Toddman214
Level 6

Both issues now resolved. The first, as I mentioned above resolved when I moved the backup window and kicked off a manual job within it. Not sure why that mattered, bit it did. I can generally kick off a maunual job whenever I like.

 

The 'disable IPResolution" part eventually did clear up the VMQuery hangups as well.