cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault - Duplication

raffl
Level 4

I have duplicated the data to disk as per the below but now want to duplicate that data to new library.

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/NetBackup-Vault/m-p/833481#M227405

I have done the phase 1 and phase 2 import of the images and setup the vault duplication. I have setup the source to use the disk and destination to use 8 drives in the duplication tab of vault profie. But when the vault policy runs it tries to backup the data under 1 duplication job.

I have the retention of all these jobs on disk is 10 years. 

How can I run the duplication of disk data to tape to use 8 tape drives.

9 REPLIES 9

GeForce123
Level 5

Could you share your vault profile configuration settings, specifically the 'Duplication' tab? I'd be interested to see how you have the destination configured.

duplication tab setting below.

source backup reside on disk is checked.

Selected the primary check box, storage unit is tape with 8 drives( in the storage unit max concurrent drive is 8)

write drives 8

can NBU make multiple batches even the retention is same ? All the disk backups have same retention.

Take a look at this technote, those 8 write drives you have specified will only be used when the following is met.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH169548

When running vault duplication jobs; the number of tapes/tape drives used for the duplications depend on the following criteria:
1. The value (i.e. number of write drives) specified from the Duplication (tab) > Destination > Write drives:
2. The number of DIFFERENT retention values of the original (primary) copies of the images 'Chosen' to be duplicated.
3. The policy configuration (in this case, the use of a load-balanced Storage Unit Group as the 'Destination > Policy Storage' for all primary backups)

I am pretty sure i have it setup correctly. I just want to clarify as i said before, i have only 10 year retention on all my images that needs to be duplicated.

The number of DIFFERENT retention values of the original (primary) copies of the images 'Chosen' to be duplicated.

Does it mean NBU will create just 1 job and I can only use 1 drive or am I missing something.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You would be better off listing all images, then divide them into different text files.
Run multiple bpduplicate commands using -bidfile option.

PS:
I have NEVER seen any media server that can stream 8 tape drives simultaneously at good write speed.
What made you attach 8 drives to single server? What research have you done wrt resources needed for tape drives?

I would be just using 4 of those drives for duplication, i increased it to 8 if it picks more than 1 duplication in vault.

So there is no way to do it from vaul, will vault make only one job of retention is same.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If I look at your opening post, you have already configured Vault?
I am curious to know how you managed to use Vault to duplicate the imported data to tape.

My only experience with Vault is backup and duplication where the 1st tab (Choose backups) is used to select backups over a period (between x days and x days/hours).

Different retention can be specified in Duplication tab Advanced options (as explained in Vault admin guide).

I created the storage unit for that path where I had the images.

In the vault profile in the first tab i selected the storage unit in locations which I created(where the images for phase1 and phase 2 are located)

The duplication runs fine but the only concern is it is picking 1 job and trying to backup 22 TB. I wanted to use atlease 3-4 drives so it would be fast.

As per some articles and in the vaul admin guide NBU vault creates the batch depending on the retention of the images that needs to be duplicated. So if you have multiple retention it will try to create multiple batches.

My only question is if i have all the images with 10 year retention on disk, will NBU create 1 batch and try to duplicate them as 1 duplication or that is incorrect.

I don't want to change the retention of these jobs.

I looked at the log in vault profile.

It says below message, does vault work for advanced disk to create multiple batches or only for basidisk. Any one experienced this.

08:18:42.693 [13688.23604] <4> vltrun@CreateDiskBatches^26: No batch to add to dup faster. No BasicDisk batch?
08:18:42.693 [13688.23604] <2> vltrun@BatchAdvDupDiskImages^26: #Selected IMGs: 199, #Disk IMGs: 199