cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Report and Job Status Emails Not sending

mkotan
Level 3

I recently upgraded from 7.6.1.1 (2.6.1.1) to 7.7.1 (2.7.1) due to an issue that arose regarding RAID configuration on my 5230 appliance. Upgrading was a known fix for this issue. So when I upgraded, I no longer receive vault or job status emails. I do however still receive the catalog backup emails.

So, the catalog email comes from the sender address that is specified from the CLISH (Settings->Alerts->Email->Show) or from the web GUI for the appliance. This email is masterServer@domain.com.

The vault report and job status emails come from a different address (this worked up to the point I upgraded) root@masterServer.domain.com.

So after running test emails (mail -v myaddress.com), I noticed that it wasn't passing authenticaton. I realized that since in 7.6.1.2 SASL was implemented and the SMTP account I had been using wasn't AD authenticated. So I changed the SMTP account in the web GUI, tested call home again and it worked still. I then tested sending an email again, and it passed authentication this time but the email came from masterServer@domain.com. I have no way of testing emails sent from the root address, that I know of.

So, any clues why I am able to send mail using the sender email address that was specified in the email settings but the vault report and job status emails are no longer being sent as root@masterServer.domain.com?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mkotan
Level 3

Solved it myself, had to edit the main.cf file in /etc/postfix and add the smtp_sasl_security_option = nonanonymous since it wasn't specified. Once I did that I edited /etc/postfix/generic to use the correct sender name.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mkotan
Level 3

Solved it myself, had to edit the main.cf file in /etc/postfix and add the smtp_sasl_security_option = nonanonymous since it wasn't specified. Once I did that I edited /etc/postfix/generic to use the correct sender name.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Thanks for posting the solution.   Always good when we solve our own issues.

Just for completeness would you be willing to post the error status that you saw when the problem existed, and any kind of log snippet that might help someone else find a solution at a later date?

Pleeeeeeeeze?   :)

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

.... had to edit the main.cf file 

main.cf? That is associated with Veritas Cluster?

Really?

Would be nice if you could share more detail.... 

mkotan
Level 3

There was no 'error' message persay, the emails just weren't being sent but the tapes were still ejecting though. In order to see the 'errors' I had to look at the /var/log/maillog and /root/dead.letter

Feb 14 09:17:44 masterServer postfix/smtp[278258]: 1393240E52: to=<myEmail>, relay=relayIP[relayIP]:25, delay=176713, delays=176713/0.26/0.05/0, dsn=4.7.0, status=deferred (SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to server relayIP[relayIP]: no mechanism available)

Testing Email manually using 'mail -v myEmail'

220 exchangeServer Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Wed, 10 Feb 2016 13:30:43 -0500

ehlo

250-exchangeServer Hello [IP]

250-SIZE

250-PIPELINING

250-DSN

250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

250-STARTTLS

250-X-ANONYMOUSTLS

250-AUTH NTLM

250-X-EXPS GSSAPI NTLM

250-8BITMIME

250-BINARYMIME

250-CHUNKING

250-XEXCH50

250-XRDST

250 XSHADOW

auth login

504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type

smtp-server: 504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type

"/root/dead.letter" 10/309

. . . message not sent.

I had the exchange admin create a receive connector to authenticate the traffic from my appliance since by default we have no authentication, I still got the authentication error. I then changed the SMTP account to an AD account for authentication instead of the 'admin' account I had setup originally. Once that was done it passed authentication and sent the test email to my email address. However, that doesn't mean that Netbackup is going to work. I started a small 1 file backup and saved it to my msdp pool. Then I started a test vault profile and the email was still not sending once the vault job finished. Looking at the maillog, I still saw the same errors.

@Marianne The main.cf file is located in /etc/postfix/ and specifies smtp settings. With SASL being implemented in 2.6.1.2, authentication is now required. The noanonymous option was missing (it doesn't have to be there) but with how my exchange environment is setup, it is required. I don't believe this main.cf file has anything to do with the Veritas Cluster.

# Global Postfix configuration file. This file lists only a subset
# of all parameters. For the syntax, and for a complete parameter
# list, see the postconf(5) manual page (command: "man 5 postconf").

readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.6/README_FILES
myhostname=masterServer
relayhost=relayIP
smtp_generic_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/generic
smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
smtp_sasl_password_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
smtp_sasl_auth_enable=yes

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Great post. Thank you.