cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault tapes capacity

Will_Restore
Level 6

Suddenly one site using more tapes for offsite vaulting.  Checking KB counts on "full" LTO4 media show just 500Gb on new tapes vs 800Gb or more with older tapes.  I was beginning to think we got a batch of bad tapes but find Full tapes from regular backups to new media are expected capacity where Vault tapes are not.  I know it's the hardware that signals when a tape is full so how come Vault tapes are filling up sooner?  Scratching my head on this one. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

Oh my!  Just checked library logs and it seems to think the new Sony tapes are LTO3.  sad

Very odd that regular backups capacity is fine and only vault copies are affected.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Was encryption or compression turned on via the policy ?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Not permitted on Vault policy but I double-checked and none of the policies using encryption or compression.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Are particular drives used for vault copies perhaps, different firmware level ??? Just an idea ...

Will_Restore
Level 6

Thanks, checked & all firmware at same level.  Same drives used for regular backups & vault copies.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Oh my!  Just checked library logs and it seems to think the new Sony tapes are LTO3.  sad

Very odd that regular backups capacity is fine and only vault copies are affected.