cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vaulting, Lifecycle Polcies, etc

ADDODD
Level 4
Hi guys,

I have a few questions about getting tapes off site.

I've got 2 media servers (Solaris10) running NBU 6.5.4 talking to a Solaris 10 master server.

each media server has 500 GB of disk and shared access to 8 LTO-4 tape drives.

each media server has a storage unit of type basic disk and one for the robot with the drives (so 4 storage units in total).  the 2 disk STUs are in a group  for disk and the 2 tape STUs are in a group for tape.

I need to a.) perform backups daily (weekly full, daily diff), and b.) send them offsite the next day.

The majority of the backups are relatively small (20 - 50 GB for a full, and only a few GB for the daily diff).  Some are really big.  I'm planning to convert those to SAN clients.

For the smaller backups, what is the best way to accomplish the goals?

i could:

write backups to tape, use Vault to copy them to an offsite pool and ship them.

write backups to disk staging, make 2 copies to tape (using life cycle policies?) - one for offsite and one for restore jobs onsite.

write backups to disk and use Vault to make 2 copies to tape - one for offsite and one for restore jobs onsite.

any thoughts / suggestions?

thanks,

ADDODD
3 REPLIES 3

ADDODD
Level 4
hey all,

here's what I've decided to do.

1.) write backups to disk stu (mostly over night)
2.) stage backups to tape (mostly during the day)
3.) run vault job to eject media in the offsite pools on a daily basis

hope it works!

ADDODD

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
I just completed the process of changing our SAN clients to Standard Clients and added an additional Media Server to handle the additional load.  So, when ask how big is big, we have 1 volume that is 1.6TB in size.  Backup speed via I/P was the same as fiber to our VTL.  I initially went the SAN client route, but I would never do that again - ease of maintenance was the main issue.

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6
 Hi,

If i have to decide i would like to do it as 

"write backups to disk staging, make 2 copies to tape (using life cycle policies?) - one for offsite and one for restore jobs onsite."