cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vaulting old images

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
Hi,

I finished migrating our Netbackup environment form 5.1 to 6.0MP4 and I would like to start Vaulting images right now.. I've created Vault profile and selected policies and backup type I want, I set vault to look images between 48 and 20 days back (basically February), after I ran Vault preview job and I see just couple images for each policy in preview list. I verified catalog and I found that I have 15+ images for this particular policy for February, so my list should be 10-15 times longer..

My question would be why vault doesn't select all images?

Netbackup 6.0Mp4, Win2003
9 REPLIES 9

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
If images were vaulted earlier, vault will not duplicate images again. It will skip such images and duplicate images, which haven't been duplicated yet.

If you are not sure whether or not images in question were vaulted earlier run bpimagelist command or check through your catalog.

If you are sure these were not vaulted at all, check your selection partameters in vault profile, you may some excludes or specific includes, resulting in skipping the images.

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
I didn't run any vaulting yet. I have Full daily backups with 3 months retention.. I selected couple policies and Full schedules in my vault profile and unfortunately instead of ~15 images (I see images in catalog) and I see just one in vault preview list. I believe I correctly selected required policies and schedules..

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
I've tried to run preview vault on other dates (only 20 days back - March) and I see more images in preview list...

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
This is how Vault pick images to be vaulted -

During a Vault session, Vault builds a list of images that are candidates for duplication or ejection. The preview.list file, which resides in the session directory for the current Vault session, includes all images that match the criteria specified on the profile Choose Backups tab except for the following:

◆ If a copy of an image already is in the Off-site Volume Group, that image will not be included in the preview.list file. Because images that have a copy in an Off-site Volume Group are already vaulted, Vault does not select them as candidates for vaulting.

◆ If the Source Volume Group field on the Choose Backups tab has been set to a specific volume group and if no copy of that image exists in that volume group, the image will not be added to the preview.list file.
After the preview.list file is generated, Vault evaluates the images in it to determine if they should be duplicated and/or ejected. Because several filters (that is, other profile configuration options) can exclude an image from duplication and ejection, the preview.listfile may be a superset of the images that will eventually get duplicated by the session.

Check if you have all Volume Groups selected in Source Volume Group or a particular one only.

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
Source Volume group is graded out. because I skip duplication job.. Or should I use duplication? :)

Stumpr2
Level 6
Go back and do as Rakesh suggested and run bpimagelist to see how many copies there have been created. How many copies have you configured Netbackup to be able to have?Message was edited by:
Backup Bob

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
backup created 3 copies of image.. Fist server was backed up locally to disk storage, then transferred to central data storage and then moved to tape. 3rd copy ir primary copy. I set maximum of 4 copies, so Vault will be 4th.. :)

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
How did you move the copy to tape? I am assuming using vaulting.

If you did so, then current vault will not pick this image unless previous copies have already expired.

Using the Multiple Copies attribute, NetBackup can create up to four copies of a backup simultaneously, provided that the storage units are on the same media server and there are sufficient resources available for each copy. For example, creating four copies simultaneously in a Media Manager storage unit requires four tape drives.

At one time, this option was referred to as Inline Tape Copy (ITC), but can now
accommodate disk storage units.

The Maximum Backup Copies property specifies the total number of backup copies that may exist in the NetBackup catalog (2 through 10). NetBackup creates either the number of copies specified under Multiple Copies, or the number of copies specified as the Maximum Backup Copies property, whichever is smaller.

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
Images go on tape because central data staging area is temporary, so I have staging schedule in place and water marks so it's not vaulting.. Images goes on tape also temporary till expire, because I don't have a lot of space on disk... :D