Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vcenter 6.7 random FTL - Cleanup() Failed

Jeffro_005
Level 3

Hi,

Using NBU on appliance ver 8.3.0.2

When backing up a Vmware 6.7 ver (17700523)cluster from Vcenter 6.7 ver (6.7.0.48000) the job is randomly failing in the snapshot and backup. Backup detailed status displays:-

FTL - cleanup() failed, status 11
Error bptm (pid=42113) media manager terminated by parent process

Rerun of job generally runs without issue.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

a root cause of this will be likely on VMware side, so check its console for issues. On the NBU, just check if 2 policies dont run concurrently against the same VM.

Regards

M.

Seems to be happening since hosts have upgraded from Esxi 6.5 to 6.7 or 7. Recently upgraded another cluster and now they are randomly failing.

Hi @Jeffro_005 

How busy is the system at the time of the failures (as in how many other Vmware backups are happening)?

I'm seeing some internal notes about this relating to the total number of connections to VMware. If you think this might be the issue, I'd suggest logging a support call and make reference to article 100052472 (internal only for now). 

Cheers
David

Hi David,

It will be busy, i'll log a call. Thanks for your feedback.

Hi @Jeffro_005 

Assuming you are using VIP, you could try tweaking some of the VMware resource settings to see if that can help to reduce the load on the vCenter server(s). 

If you are doing it the old way, you can use the STU and policy settings (limit jobs per policy) to try to achieve the same (just not as simple).

Cheers
David

Hi @davidmoline 

Dropped the resource limit for vmware on the master server to 2 connections for vcenter, snapshot, cluster, esxserver and datastore.

Still receiving the errors.

Regards

Jeff