cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verify existence of DB backup in backup images

X2
   VIP   
There was a requirement for extending the expiry of a couple of databases (MS SQL). The DBs are backed up with several others using a MS-SQL-Server policy (traditional). What I did was to use bplist command to see if DBs were backed up during the time the policy was running (Hot Full about a month ago); found all backup images that the policy created (all DBs) and extended their expiry (all images). This was my easy way out to "get the job done". Is there a way to just pick the backup images created when a particular db was backed up and extend their expiry? Env: NetBackup 9.0 on Master RHEL7, Media RHEL7, Client Windows 2016
3 REPLIES 3

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No. this is what you have to do.

just that the bplist is not needed to find the backup images.

In general, you have to find the backup images using the GUI ->catalog or the "bpimagelist -l -d <start backup time> -e <end backup time> -client <client name> -p <policy name>"

And then extend  the expiration using the "bpexpdate -backupid <backupid> -d <new date> -force" command. -force is optional but useful.

X2
   VIP   

@StefanosM - the list generated by GUI Catalog search or the bpimagelist command will only display backup images generated by that policy/client/time combination. However, it does not show that the particular database was successfully backed up during that run of the policy.

I can't go that far back in the Activity Monitor to verify that the job was successful and the particular DB was backed up, because Activity Monitor is set to keep only 7 days worth of jobs.

So, I used the bplist command to find the files in the backupage image(s) for that policy/client/duration. The files list had files with name of the DB in them. Command I used:

bplist.exe -C clientName -k policyName -t 15 -S masterFQDN -s 07/30/2021 20:00:00 -e 07/31/2021 07:00:00 -R \

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

OK, if you need to verify the backup first bplist is fine. You can also use opcenter to verify that all jobs ware finished ok