cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verifying Stucked Backup Jobs

Fabian_Schwarz
Level 4

Hi,

Is there any way to verify if a Backup Job is stucked ?

Everyday I find Backup Jobs greater than 20 hours in active status, and Id like to verify if the job is stucked (command line option).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not too sure - either field 15 or 30. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65123 

15 kbytes
30 kbyteslastwritten

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

watsons
Level 6

Check the bpbkar logs on client to see if it's appending... ,  also check in system logs to see if bpbkar (bpbkar32.exe in Windows) process is still running. If it crashes, you won't see anything in logs.

Marianne
Level 6
If you watch the backup for 5-10 minutes, does the byte count increase? bpbrm and bptm logs on the media server may help. Level 3 logs should be fine. bptm log will show when last data was received from the client and bpbrm will tell when last catalog update was received from the client. There is a TN about a bug in a specific NBU version where large backups hang on a checkpoint. Will see if I can find it. If you know how to use iostat at OS-level, you can use it to see if there is still activity on the tape drive.

Fabian_Schwarz
Level 4

Is there any way to verify the "Current Kilobytes written" data in a specified job in the command line ?

Marianne
Level 6

Not too sure - either field 15 or 30. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65123 

15 kbytes
30 kbyteslastwritten

Fabian_Schwarz
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Can you tell me more how use iostat to monitoring a backup job ?

Marianne
Level 6
I have never tried it on Linux - only on Solaris where I used something like: iostat -xn 3 10 |grep rmt (where 3 is the interval in seconds and 10 the number of times) You may want to look on Linux community sites for the equivalent.

watsons
Level 6

In Linux, you can do this to print the iostat output with timestamp every 30 sec:

while true; do iostat -t ; sleep 30; done

.. you will need to "man iostat" to understand what every columns mean.