Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas 6.5.5 No Media Server Assigned

STWALI
Level 3

Morning All,

I have having the following issue:

I have done a Month End Backup, But trying to restore from those tapes is not working. The Catalog works fine as in the report section you can see data was restored to those tapes. When creating a restore it advises which tapes it is looking for but even though they are in the libraries, they are not mounted.

Additionally, a Media Server is not assigned to the Job so i dont actually know if it knows which tapes to mount.

I have Manually mounted those tapes into the drives but again - the restore never kicks in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do you have bprd log on the master? If not, create the folder and restart NBU.

bprd log will contain media id's that were identified and shortly after that the media server that is chosen for the restore.

I have seen incidents where 'Media host override' / FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA SERVER is used, that bprd goes into a 'hang' state when media server needs to be selected. Stopping NBU, then manually killing remaining bprd processes, followed by restarting NBU and resubmitting restore is normally a workaround.

RiaanBadenhorst

NetBackup will try and use the media server that was used to perform the backups. Is that server available, services started/running?

If its not, you'll need to look at the parameter described by Marianne. This will tell NetBackup that backups performed by hostX needs to be restored by hostY (becuase hostX is down or some other reason)

STWALI
Level 3

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I have checked the BPRD logs and cannot find any HOST OVERRIDE or FORCE Restore?

I have also stopped the services on the media servers and master server using the bpup and bpdown commands and this hadn't resolved the issue.

Restores are working now with other days/ months. Backups have been running fine as well.

It is just this particular Month end batch of tapes that are not liked.

Incidentally - i could restore using Windows NT file type restores, but the particular ones i am testing are Lotus Notes file types and these fail?

Many thanks

STWALI
Level 3

Riaan,

All the Media Servers and Services are up. I have tried putting the tapes into both media libraries just incase i got the tapes in the wrong ones, but still no luck.

It knows which tapes to use, then on normal restores it says, mounting, mount time, reading etc but it never kicks in that far with the Assigned Media server Blank?

THanks

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

OK, you say the tapes are in the library, but has the library been inventoried? If you look at the media IDs in the media section of the admin console, what does it say under the Robot Type, NONE or TLD?

RiaanBadenhorst

Did you inventory after you place the media in the library? (sorry of this seems a silly questions, but I have to ask).

Once you start the restore, check the device monitor, see if there are any pending requests. They'll pop up below right at the bottom of the window.

STWALI
Level 3

Hi, Yes the Libraries were Inventoried. I have taken the tapes out now to be able to do my weekly backups!

I will put them in again now, re-inventory, re-run and let you know.

thanks