cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Flex Appliance

lovy1
Level 3

Hello All,

I was reading about Veritas new product - Flex Appliance. Can somone please explain how Flex Appliances are differ from already running appliances e.g 5230/40,5330 etc.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The Flex Appliance is a 5340 HA that allows for multi-tenancy. 

You can deploy multiple Master servers, Media servers, CloudCatalyst, etc.

More info over here: 
https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/flex-appliance

Please also speak to your local reseller - they have access to customer-facing presentations, technical presentations, etc. 

you may also want to read through the 'Related Discussions' on the right of the screen.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The Flex Appliance is a 5340 HA that allows for multi-tenancy. 

You can deploy multiple Master servers, Media servers, CloudCatalyst, etc.

More info over here: 
https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/flex-appliance

Please also speak to your local reseller - they have access to customer-facing presentations, technical presentations, etc. 

you may also want to read through the 'Related Discussions' on the right of the screen.

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

Not had any real world experience but from I know Flex Appliance runs a RHEL 7.5 base OS with a bespoke WebGUI and Docker to provision individual NetBackup tenant containers (with persistent storage obviously). Individual containers run the regular NetBackup RHEL software stack, not the NetBackup Appliance stack.

Tenant container deployment is automated so only specific roles, versions and upgrade paths are supported but it seems a neat solution to me. A non-HA Flex Appliance 5340 is also supported. Thanks, Andrew 

Can the Flex appliance exists in more than one IP namespace.  Example I have a VMWare Environment that's micro-segmented each with their own different IP subnets.  We had heard that the Flex OS can not multihome into different IP spaces.

Hope that makes sense. 

Hi @charlezhart 

You should really start a new topic rather than tag onto a 3 year old thread.

That said, it is possible to add additional IP namespaces to a flex instance (I don't beleive there is a limit but I could be wrong). You first have to create the required network subnets (with or without VLANs) in the network section of the Fleex UI. Then after creating an instance, you can add additional network interfaces to that instance (after shutting down). Depending on the Flex OS version, you can set up routing to support what may be required (earlier version, pre-2.1, did not have a way to customise routing without a support exception).

David

charlezhart
Level 2

Thank you David appreciate the info and we're on Flex 2.1.x, yeah you're right I should have started a new thread.