cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas NetBackup version 9.1 change password for accounts nbusvc and nbwebsvc

jsivrts
Level 4
If I changed the passwords for the nbusvc and nbwebsvc accounts in the Veritas NetBackup version 9.1 on the master server, I just need to do this with the passwd command on the server with RHEL 7, or maybe somewhere else?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @jsivrts 

If these are the accounts you are using for NBU Web services and to run most of the NetBackup services, then there is no requirement for them to have a password at all (RHEL is not Windows) - you should not be logging in as these users so there is no need for a password, and if you need to perform operations as one of these users, then you would use the "su" utility as root to change ID (e.g. '# su nbusvc'). I would also be careful that you don't have any password expiry attached to the accounts (if the account becomes locked, then I don't believe the services will start).

David

View solution in original post

jsivrts
Level 4

Hi @davidmoline,

Thank you very much for your information.

Jozef

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @jsivrts 

If these are the accounts you are using for NBU Web services and to run most of the NetBackup services, then there is no requirement for them to have a password at all (RHEL is not Windows) - you should not be logging in as these users so there is no need for a password, and if you need to perform operations as one of these users, then you would use the "su" utility as root to change ID (e.g. '# su nbusvc'). I would also be careful that you don't have any password expiry attached to the accounts (if the account becomes locked, then I don't believe the services will start).

David

Hi @jsivrts 

And to answer your question - yes use the passwd utility, that the only safe way to change passwords in Linux.

David

jsivrts
Level 4

Hi @davidmoline,

Thank you very much for your information.

Jozef