cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Netbackup 6.5.4 and VCB

posie80
Level 4

Hi all!

We are currently creating a test environment for Netbackup 6.5.4 integration with VCB backup ( ESX version 4.0 U2, VCB version 1.5 U1).

We already have Netbackup UNIX 6.5.4 environment currently in production (all current master and media servers are on Solaris 10 + Netbackup 6.5.4). What we would like to do, is install Netbackup 6.5.4 server software on the VC backup proxy server since that is the recommended way, and connect the VCB backup proxy to the virtual tape library (EMC DL720) we configured for it. So basically the backup proxy server will also be a Netbackup media server and it will back up the VM data from the SAN storage, directly to the connected VTL. We will keep the UNIX Netbackup master server as-is.

However today I saw another documentation that states a Netbackup Enterprise client (which provides Snapshot client) needs to be installed as well on the VCB backup proxy. Now I am under the impression that we dont need this since we plan to have the proxy server as the Netbackup Media server and we shouldnt need any extra licenses...

Can somebody clarify this? Do we really need the Snapshot client in the scenario we planned above? really appreciate your feedbacks, or links to related docs.

- Posie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The NBU for VMware guide explains license requirements:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67329

p.16:

NetBackup for VMware requires the NetBackup Snapshot Client license, which is included in the NetBackup Enterprise Client license.

Without the Enterprise Client license the FlashBackup-Windows policy type will probably not appear in the drop-down selection list.

The license will also enable the "Perform snapshot backups" attribute (p. 27 onwards).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The NBU for VMware guide explains license requirements:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67329

p.16:

NetBackup for VMware requires the NetBackup Snapshot Client license, which is included in the NetBackup Enterprise Client license.

Without the Enterprise Client license the FlashBackup-Windows policy type will probably not appear in the drop-down selection list.

The license will also enable the "Perform snapshot backups" attribute (p. 27 onwards).

teiva-boy
Level 6

The Enterprise Client is needed for EACH physical vm server you are trying to protect.  This license will unlock what you need on the media/master servers.

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

The Enterprise client license is required for each ESX server in your environment, just in case it wasn't totally clear.

posie80
Level 4

Thanks all! Your comments have helped so much, and also thanks for the link of that helpful doc.

I am a bit confused though - do we need to have the enterprise client installed on each ESX servers we want to protect through VCB/Netbackup?

The reason is, we want to back up off SAN containing the vmdk files of the virtual servers (we dont plan to backup from LAN). These SAN luns are connected to the backup proxy server, and we intend to install and configure the backup proxy server as Netbackup Media server. Virtual tape library will be connected to this backup proxy server/netbackup media server so we can directly perform our backup to it. I am assuming only the backup proxy server/ NBU media server needs this Snapshot client installed.

If we follow the above scenario, do we still need to have the Enterprise client installed on each ESX? I was under the impression that just a Netbackup Enterprise server license and package installed on the backup proxy server would suffice in our situation...

Appreciate if you can help me just a bit more :)

- Posie

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

You just need an Enterprise Client license for each ESX server. Once you've installed one Enterprise Client license, in theory you can backup an unlimited number of ESX servers as the functionality is now unlocked. But to be in compliance with licensing, you should have a license for each ESX server.

The license would be installed on the NBU environment. Nothing is installed on the ESX servers.

posie80
Level 4

Hi Tim,

I see, thanks a lot for your assistance!

I have installed an Enterprise Netbackup  6.5 media server software on the backup proxy server.

Now, I would like to do the following :

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You must add the VMware backup proxy server to your NetBackup configuration.
In the NetBackup Administration Console, do the following.
To add the proxy server
1 Click HostProperties>MasterServer> and double click NetBackupmaster
server > Virtual Machine Proxy Servers.
2 Click Add.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, I cannot see Virtual Machine Proxy Servers when I double clicked the Netbackup master server. Infact, I cannot see this option anywhere within my Java administration console.

How can I see this option? Is there some component I need to add to my master server or license in order for me to see this option?

Thanks!

Posie

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

You probably need to purchase or acquire an Enterprise Client license. Install it on your master server and restart the Netbackup services to ensure the options you are looking for are there.

Marianne's post at the top explains the requirements.