cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Netbackup Datacenter how to change Media Type?

Igor_B_
Level 3
Hi,

Veritas Netbackup Datacenter ver. 4.5GA

I got a problem with a library and the media types of the tapes.

First look at the screenshot please.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

So my question is how I can change the media typ from DLT3_CLN to DLT3?

Please notice that I only know the basics of Netbackup.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6
I'm not sure on the problem 1
Why are you using overide for the storage unit?
I suggest you repost this as a separate post.
Perhaps more people will see it since this post is alrady marked as answered.

Problem 2
If this does not answer your needs then please post this as a new post unto itself. That way more people will see the problem since this post is already marked as answered.

How to manually remove a tape completely from NetBackup/Media Manager.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/208420.htm

Details:
First, if there are images on the tape, they need to be expired. This can be done by:
bpexpdate -ev -d 0

This will not completely free up the tape if the tape is frozen or suspended, so the command(s):
bpmedia -unfreeze -ev
or
bpmedia -unsuspend -ev
may be needed.

At this point there will be no image database entries for that tape and the media database should show the tape as not assigned therefore allowing the tape to be reused. However sometimes the image database and the media manager database can be out of sync, and the tape may show as still assigned, or if the tape has a NetBackup database backup on it, there would be no image entry to begin with. When a tape shows an assigned date, but no images are related to that tape, it will show up in the available_media report as dbbackup. To tell if a tape actually has a dbbackup on it, the command:
vmquery -m mediaid
will show a status, where 0x0 means normal backups, 0x1 means NetBackup database backup and 0x2 means Storage Migrator.
If it is 0x1, be certain this is not a database backup which will ever be needed.
If it is 0x2, it is in use by Storage Migrator and understanding of the use of the tape by Storage Migrator (not covered here) is required.

To free up the tape, when it has an assigned date but no images in the database, the command:
vmquery -deassignbyid
must be run, but the status will be displayed as 0x0, 0x1 or 0x2 and needs to be just 0, 1 or 2 in the vmquery -deassignbyid.

At this point the tape is available to be used for backups.

If the tape was bad or destroyed and that is why it is being removed, the command:
vmdelete -m
will remove the last remnants of information about it from media manager.

There are other options which may be specified for the above commands. Some are to specify server names, volume database host names, etc. If the NetBackup/Media Manager setup is complex, those options may be needed. The full paths to the commands mentioned are:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedia
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery
usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmdelete
All but available_media have man pages.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Stumpr2
Level 6
One easy way is to simply delete the media and then inventory the library. If you have problems then please reply as I am watching this thread.

Igor_B_
Level 3
Thank you very much, that was my solution.

Maybe you can help me in my other problems.

Frist Problem:

I got a NDMP Backup, the daily differential Backup is running fine.

But the weekly backup still suspends. I read that there is a configuration error with the tapes.

The tapedrive goes done, when I put it up than the backup still not running.

What can I do in this case?

Second Problem:

I got still in the robot assigned medias which are not more in the robot. I can't delete them because I get the message that the tapes are assigned. But how I deassign them?
Sorry but I am completly new in this software.

Here are some Screenshots of the configuration, if you need more tell me please I need your help, my boss is very angry and I must learn about it.

Click on the Thumbnails to enlarge the pictures.

The policies:

The NDMP policy:

The storage:

The volumes:

The volumes in the robot:

The volume groups:

Thank you.

Stumpr2
Level 6
I'm not sure on the problem 1
Why are you using overide for the storage unit?
I suggest you repost this as a separate post.
Perhaps more people will see it since this post is alrady marked as answered.

Problem 2
If this does not answer your needs then please post this as a new post unto itself. That way more people will see the problem since this post is already marked as answered.

How to manually remove a tape completely from NetBackup/Media Manager.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/208420.htm

Details:
First, if there are images on the tape, they need to be expired. This can be done by:
bpexpdate -ev -d 0

This will not completely free up the tape if the tape is frozen or suspended, so the command(s):
bpmedia -unfreeze -ev
or
bpmedia -unsuspend -ev
may be needed.

At this point there will be no image database entries for that tape and the media database should show the tape as not assigned therefore allowing the tape to be reused. However sometimes the image database and the media manager database can be out of sync, and the tape may show as still assigned, or if the tape has a NetBackup database backup on it, there would be no image entry to begin with. When a tape shows an assigned date, but no images are related to that tape, it will show up in the available_media report as dbbackup. To tell if a tape actually has a dbbackup on it, the command:
vmquery -m mediaid
will show a status, where 0x0 means normal backups, 0x1 means NetBackup database backup and 0x2 means Storage Migrator.
If it is 0x1, be certain this is not a database backup which will ever be needed.
If it is 0x2, it is in use by Storage Migrator and understanding of the use of the tape by Storage Migrator (not covered here) is required.

To free up the tape, when it has an assigned date but no images in the database, the command:
vmquery -deassignbyid
must be run, but the status will be displayed as 0x0, 0x1 or 0x2 and needs to be just 0, 1 or 2 in the vmquery -deassignbyid.

At this point the tape is available to be used for backups.

If the tape was bad or destroyed and that is why it is being removed, the command:
vmdelete -m
will remove the last remnants of information about it from media manager.

There are other options which may be specified for the above commands. Some are to specify server names, volume database host names, etc. If the NetBackup/Media Manager setup is complex, those options may be needed. The full paths to the commands mentioned are:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedia
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery
usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmdelete
All but available_media have man pages.

Igor_B_
Level 3
Okay lets see tomorrow what will happen with the backup.