Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Tech Talks: Introducing NetBackup 8.1.2 – Live VOX coverage

JustineVelcich
Community Manager
Community Manager
Employee

VOX header_1140x240.png

Welcome to the live-coverage summary feed of Veritas Tech Talks, happening now on the VOX homepage.

Follow this discussion thread for episode summary highlights being shared from the 4-part video series. We will share an episode summary at the end of each show, as a new comment. We welcome your questions – the NetBackup team is ready on hand to answer!

53 REPLIES 53

rossxu
Level 4

Will NetBackup 8.1.2 and Appliance 3.1.2 be available for download today, September 12, 2018?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@rossxu wrote:

Will NetBackup 8.1.2 and Appliance 3.1.2 be available for download today, September 12, 2018?

Seems only on Monday...
 https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/netbackup/whats-new  says under 8.1.2 topic:
Key Features in 8.1.2 – GA Release: Sep 17, 2018

GA for NetBackup 8.1.2 is on Sept 17.

GA for NetBackup Appliance 3.1.2 is on Sept 21.

with this new web interface and RBAC, does we need Netbackup Self-Service?

Good question. If your needs are pretty simple then the new UI may do everything you want and is very easy to set up.

Power users may prefer NetBackup Self Service which provides more advanced self-service, multi-tenant capabilities that many service providers need, including the ability to customize the portal in a variety of ways. Customers on capacity licensing get NetBackup Self Sevice for free, so you can decide which is right for you.

Correction.

Customers using Complete Edition have NSS included in the license cost.
Siobhan Ellis
Principal Product Manager
Service Provider Product Strategy, NSS & NetBackup Reporting

mad_about_you
Level 4

with all the bells and whistles, does the new version provide a better management console that is not based on java?

@mad_about_you,

I think it does. The whole new approach of the new UI is about workflow. So, instead of being defined by product functionality, it is defined by achieving an objective. The idea is you can do anything in 3 clicks or less.

Now, this does mean that we are adding functionality by workload, rather than by functionality.

This means, for a while, you'll need to use both the Java interface and the new UI. Or, you can point workload admins (VMware admins for example) at the new UI and continue to use the Java console.

Be aware, though, that the general direction is to add new functionality to the new UI and not the Java UI. There may be some exceptions to that, but it is a general direction.

Siobhan Ellis
Principal Product Manager
Service Provider Product Strategy, NSS & NetBackup Reporting

mad_about_you
Level 4

do you have a technical video of what to expect if 7.7.x users upgrade to 8.1.2 ?

Marianne

@Marianne wrote:

@mad_about_you

Have you seen this post?

Veritas Education Services NetBackup 8.1.2 administration training, now available

now i saw it but such "expensive" training they are not putting in the budget.

also, what i'm looking for is some kind of release notes or gotcha files.

mad_about_you
Level 4

will you have a Long Term Support (LTS) version of NetBackup for a certain version?

we would prefer NOT to keep updating but instead stay on a certain version for at least 5 years.

mad_about_you
Level 4

here's my initial, quick feedback:

i browsed the backup admin video and it seems NBU only have a prettier face. why i said that is because i don't see any improvements regarding problem backups. for example, the other day i have a restore that completed partially. from the GUI console it doesn't tell me much why it is partial. i have to go to the backend, in CLI, look for the associated log file, and view it to find out that i've ran out of hard disk space in my destination.

from the 8.1.2 video, it doesn't address how the above process have been improved. do we still have to go to the backend, in CLI, to get more information?

Marianne

@mad_about_you

You seem to have lots of questions and nobody from Veritas seem to be answering this forum thread anymore.

I will try to answer some of your questions:

"... also, what i'm looking for is some kind of release notes or gotcha files.
we would prefer NOT to keep updating but instead stay on a certain version for at least 5 years.

All NBU 8.1.2 Documents: URL: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100044086

8.1.2 NetBackup Release Notes

will you have a Long Term Support (LTS) version of NetBackup for a certain version?

Any kind of software company that does not renew and keep up with development is simply doomed. 
New OS releases, new database versions, modern type of workloads all need to be backed up.
End users communicate with Product Management via local Veritas SE's to request enhancements.

Previous versions stay supported for a long time when new versions are released.
You can find end of support dates here:
https://sort.veritas.com/eosl
Select NetBackup Enterprise Server and 'All' versions. 

You will see that 8.0 was released on 2016-12-05. EOSL is 2022-03-26  (more than 5 years!)
8.1.x end of support has not yet been determined. 

" i have to go to the backend, in CLI, look for the associated log file, and view it to find out that i've ran out of hard disk space in my destination.

from the 8.1.2 video, it doesn't address how the above process have been improved. do we still have to go to the backend, in CLI, to get more information?"

If you look at the process flow diagram for restores in NetBackup Logging Reference Guide  you will understand that there are LOTS going on 'under the covers'. 
Once you understand which processes are involved, you will know that you need the 'tar' log on the client to see what is going on.

Please spend time getting to know NetBackup.
Attend classroom or online training.
Download the manuals.
Take time to read. 

Good luck!