cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version 7.6.1 jnbSA at 32bit available für Citrix environment?

mchrist
Level 3

Experts,

currently we are about to upgrade our Netbackup environment from 7.5.0.6 to 7.6.1. Our administration console is the Java GUI jnbSA installed on a Citrix Metaframe (32bit only). Now we found out that 7.6.1 has a 64bit version of the Java GUI only. Is this true or can we found a 32bit version somwhere else?

Thanks in advance for your hints!

Matthias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Netbackup is 64bit only now.  There is no 32bit Java GUI available.

You will however still be able to use jnbSA from a Windows client using a X11 server like mobaXterm (using ssh terminal).

I would bite the bullet and upgrade to a 64 bit OS. 32 bit it not coming back.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Netbackup is 64bit only now.  There is no 32bit Java GUI available.

You will however still be able to use jnbSA from a Windows client using a X11 server like mobaXterm (using ssh terminal).

I would bite the bullet and upgrade to a 64 bit OS. 32 bit it not coming back.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

See  NetBackup Administration Consoles section in NetBackup 7 Operating System (CL) :  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648 

As per Nicolai's excellent post - 32-bit OS is dead. 
Time to move on....

mchrist
Level 3

Many thanks for your quick answer. I expected such a reply.

Unfortunately we are a big company with many restrictions. Upgrading the Citrix environment to 64bit is a neverending story. Therefore I need a circumvention.

Question: Currently we are using the Java GUI 7.5.0.6 which is, as far as I understood, also a x64 version, right? Is there something like a "switch" to enable 64bit applications to be run in a 32bit Java runtime environment? Or the other way around (RTE 64 on a 32bit Citrix)?

Thanks again for your professionel help!

Matthias

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The 7.5.0.7 java GUI is available in both 32 and 64 bit. You have the 32bit version installed.

From the download page:

NB_JAV_7.5.0.7.winnt.x86.exe provides an update to NetBackup 7.5 Java on x86 Windows
NB_JAV_7.5.0.7.winnt.x64.exe provides an update to NetBackup 7.5 Java on x64 Windows

You are in a dead end - there is no way getting a 64bit application working in a 32 bit bit OS. 

If the master server OS is Linux/UNIX you can use the workaround is described in my first post (using jnbSA via SSH and a X11 server).

mchrist
Level 3

Hi Nicolai,

many, many thanks again for your quick reply, I appreciate it!

I'm already using other ways (native 64bit GUI via X-Server/Jump-Server) but the team who is administering this environment is using Citrix.  So now we have very good arguments to increase the pressure on the Citrix team to upgrade to 64bit ;)

This thread can be closed

Matthias

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

It was a pleasure to help you out :)

Please consider to mark one or more post that help you the most as a "solution". This will close off the thread, and help other users searching for the same issue finding a quick resolution to the problem.

Best Regards

Nicolai