cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Hostname as NetBackup Client

Sandeep_Chandur
Level 2
Hi,

We have two MySQL database servers in a cluster configuration, one being a primary server (db1) and the other a secondary (db2). Applications see it as a single virtual hostname (db) - i.e. the "active" server.

For initiating a database backup, we use bpstart_notify to initiate a mysqldump on the active server and backup the resulting dump file using NetBackup.

I wanted to know if, in the NetBackup Master/Media Server (both are on a different server), we can configure the virtual hostname as the client. The idea is to install NetBackup client software on both db1 and db2, and configure just db as the client in the media server. This way, we need to create backup policies only for the active server.

If it is not possible, what would be a workable solution, if there is one at all?

Thanks in advance,
Sandeep
3 REPLIES 3

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
I've done it on NBU4 & 5 using hosts file to manupilate. Not sure if NBU6 has any implication.

Do perform a restore to confirm it works (especially for those with dedicated backup LAN).

zippy
Level 6
Sandeep,

Netbackup has to be installed on each server in the cluster, then you assign an IP address and a hostname to the package in your case your MySQL database, all files and executables used for backups has to reside in the package or be distributed to each server in the cluster. No matter where the package goes within the cluster group it will allways be backed up via the master.

Cool?

JD

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Sandeep,

As stated above, yes you need install Netbackup client on the cluster nodes and configure the cluster name "db", netbackup treats "db" as a client and it takes a backup of the active node.

Raghava.