Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual storage unit for SAN media servers help

AlGon
Level 6

Hello.

Windows 2003 Netbackup 7.1

I’m about to setup a virtual storage unit for a couple of SAN media servers that are part of a Windows exchange cluster. 

There is also a small amount of file data that needs to be backed up on the shared disks.

I will need to setup a virtual storage unit that contains both windows exchange cluster nodes, associate them with the virtual exchange name and then specify the virtual exchange name as the media server in the storage unit. 

Because I also need to backup some file data on the shared disks, can I use the same storage unit that I’ve already created above, seeing as I’ve already associated both nodes with it? 

Or will I need to create another virtual storage unit but this time using the windows virtual cluster name, associate both cluster nodes and specify the windows cluster name as the media server?

I hope all this makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The main question is - how many cluster (service) groups? The assumption is that one cluster group will contain all the resources (including drive letters) that make up that particular application. This cluster group will have a virtual hostname that you use in the NBU app cluster and STU config.

So, if this shared drive letter belongs to the same cluster group, you can backup using the same STU.

If there is more than one cluster group with different resources (such as different drive letters) with another Virtual hostname and IP, you will need to create another NBU app cluster and STU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

The assumption is that the shared drive is the same drive that holds the Exchange data and that it will only be mounted on the active node? The same storage unit can be used.

AlGon
Level 6

Hi Marianne.

Ah, I think I understand your query.  Does it matter if it's a different drive, provided it can failover to either node? 

Marianne
Level 6

The main question is - how many cluster (service) groups? The assumption is that one cluster group will contain all the resources (including drive letters) that make up that particular application. This cluster group will have a virtual hostname that you use in the NBU app cluster and STU config.

So, if this shared drive letter belongs to the same cluster group, you can backup using the same STU.

If there is more than one cluster group with different resources (such as different drive letters) with another Virtual hostname and IP, you will need to create another NBU app cluster and STU.

AlGon
Level 6

Ok, this makes sense.  I wasn't thinking in enough detail.  

In this scenario the shared drive letter belongs to the same cluster group.  

However, this isn't tha same for all our clusters so I'll need to multiple virtual storage units.

Thanks loads

:)