cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual to Physical

Noman_Siddique
Level 3

In my NBU 8.0 my media server is installed on my virtual machine, i have to move it to physical machine without facing anny downtime,

how can i do that? Can anybody please help ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So, Basic Disk will be very easy to move, but even so, I do not see how you can V2P the media server without any downtime.

This would be my approach: 
(I have not tested this - hopefully others will add their thoughts)
Prepare the physical server off the network with same hostname and IP address.
Install NBU media server software and license. Do not start NBU after installation as media server will attempt to connect to the master serer.
Offline virtual media server in the GUI on master server.
Shutdown virtual server.
Zone the SAN storage (used for Basic Disk) to physical server. 
Ensure storage is mounted as same drive letter/path as it was on virtual server.
Join server to network and domain.
NBU should automatically startup and retrieve it's config from EMM on the master server.
Online media server in the GUI on the master.

Run test backup and restore.

A similar process is documented here - just ignore all references to tape/library:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041204

I am not aware of any V2P tools that can perform such a migration without any downtime.

The other suggestions here are also good advice - if you have additional disk storage, you can config a new media server with new name and change backup policies to use new STU. 
You can then allow backups on old STU to expire naturally or else duplicate to new STU and expire on old STU, followed by decommissioning of virtual media server.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

L_BR
Level 5

Can you provide more information about your environment?

You can create a new media server on the physical while the virtual is still up. Configure it as desired and begin cutting over policies from old media server to the new one.

Based on your storage/licensning/number of policies, this can be done in one shot or in batches.

Marianne

@Noman_Siddique

I agree - more information please.

Please confirm that this is a pure media server, not master/media server.

Also tell us what kind of storage is attached to this media server. 

@Marianne yes it is a pure media server

SAN is attached to it.

Genericus
   VIP   

Agree with previous posts - just build a new system, with a new name, define storage and destinations, and move SLP/policies over one at a time.

I have 19 media servers I am upgrading some pretty much every year, it is just a matter of making sure you check all the connections, and move stuff over in a consistant way. 

I would move test policies first, and check data. 

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Marianne

@Noman_Siddique

I actually wanted to know what kind of backup storage is currently configured in NBU for this media server.

If MSDP, you will have more of a challenge to move that.
Maybe tape?

Important that you tell us as much as possible about your environment and this media server.

@Marianne in my case its not with MSDP but i want to know that as well.

How to convert virtual to physical (media server) if MSDP is not configured?

and in second case if it is configured how can we convert virtual to physical (media server)

Waiting for your kind response.

Thanks for your support.

Marianne

@Noman_Siddique

Could you PLEASE answer this question?

What kind of backup storage is currently configured in NBU for this media server. 

Disk? 
If so, what type of disk - Basic? Advanced? 

Tape? 
If so, are tape drives configured as shared?

If you are unsure, please post output of this command on the master server:
bpstulist -U

Post the text output here and point out which one(s) are for this virtual media server.

PLEASE help us to help you.

@Marianne I was busy sorry for the late response, 

I have a media server with Basic Disk, there is nothing configured like shared tapes or advanced disk etc.

Thanks.

Marianne

So, Basic Disk will be very easy to move, but even so, I do not see how you can V2P the media server without any downtime.

This would be my approach: 
(I have not tested this - hopefully others will add their thoughts)
Prepare the physical server off the network with same hostname and IP address.
Install NBU media server software and license. Do not start NBU after installation as media server will attempt to connect to the master serer.
Offline virtual media server in the GUI on master server.
Shutdown virtual server.
Zone the SAN storage (used for Basic Disk) to physical server. 
Ensure storage is mounted as same drive letter/path as it was on virtual server.
Join server to network and domain.
NBU should automatically startup and retrieve it's config from EMM on the master server.
Online media server in the GUI on the master.

Run test backup and restore.

A similar process is documented here - just ignore all references to tape/library:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041204

I am not aware of any V2P tools that can perform such a migration without any downtime.

The other suggestions here are also good advice - if you have additional disk storage, you can config a new media server with new name and change backup policies to use new STU. 
You can then allow backups on old STU to expire naturally or else duplicate to new STU and expire on old STU, followed by decommissioning of virtual media server.