cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtualizing master Server issue

myousuf
Not applicable
Greetings to All, I have P-to-Ved our netbackup 7.6.0.2 master server to Vmware 5.5 environment, changed the IP address but kept the host name. I noticed some critical services wouldn't start even after trying multiple times. The server successfully joined the domain. The event log shows multiple events of "EMM interface initialization failed, status = 334" Any ideas? Help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Myousuf,

I'm guessing you had all NetBackup services shut down while doing your P2V (I hope so)?  Leaving the hostname unchanged, but changing the IP address is supported.  Have you tried the following steps?:

1) Shutdown all NetBackup services

2) ipconfig /flushdns

3) bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

4) Start all NetBAckup services

NetBackup may still have the old IP address cached.  I would also check your hosts file in case you have an entry there with the old IP address.

Hope this helps,

Steve

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

What is the output for nbdb_ping ?

Is nbemm and pbx_exchange running ?

As mentioned earlier check for  /etc/hosts file of the master server for old entries with other ip ?

Check

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\NB Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0.2\ and verify the keys named Driver and Setup are pointing to the correct path.  If they are incorrect, change them to reflect the correct path toDBODBC12.DLL.

Configure the logs for nbemm service using the following command:

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>vxlogcfg.cmd -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

Restart the NetBackup services then run the following command to collect the logs for the last 5 minutes :

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>vxlogview -o 111 -t 00:05:00

Girish

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

There might be some indication of the problem in the NetbackupDB/log/server.log and the Netbackup/logs/nbdb/ logs

Have some times been able to start a problematic Netbackup Relational Database service by:

Shutting down Netbackup using bpdown -f -v in an elevated prompt

Running the Netbackup Relational Database service command by hand in an elevated prompt

Wait for the dbsrv process to stop, usually runs a short time

Start the Netbackup Relational Database service manually

Start Netbackup using bpup -f -v in an elevated prompt, if the Netbackup Relational Database service started and stayed started of at least a couple of minutes

Going from physical to virtual, the problem can be the disk response time, think the recommendation is not more than 20 ms for the drive hosting the NBDB

Could also be caused by a keeping time on the DNS server or the PTR not updated at the DNS register done by the server at reboot.

I would start with nslookup of the servername and the new ip-address to see there was a mismatch in a DNS record

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue